Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

this thread has got a bit dusty, and most pics seem to of gone now, think i have moved them.

anyway an update, not sure where i got too, but here is the latest

Suspension felt tired, a steering boot was split, top mounts were noisy so thought i'd get a few new bits and try fitting it all with a mate, (to be fair he did most of it) :lol:

got some weitec suspension and rear ARB, i couldn't afford much more as i wanted to replace other stuff so had to comprimise for now

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

also got new bumpstops, covers, lower ball joints, wishbones and bushes, track rods & ends, top mounts, all of which came at full price from VW as i had no other choice :lol:

DSC00192.jpg

got it all fitted over 2 days, and very pleased with the result

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

ARB can't really get a pic

DSC00202.jpg

yeah, its a reasonable arch gap now, pretty much the same as most standard cars you see, just the roof line is a lot lower than most

Looks nice and clean fella - although I'm not sure I understand why you'd drive to a layby in the middle of the country just to wash it :lol:

Are you planning to get some lupo wipers at some point?

i have been thinking of getting rid of rear one as it looks a bet messy there, but i do use it quite a bit. i need to sort the fronts out as they are just crap at wiping.

are the lupo ones the best to get?

Yeah the lupo ones are very good! A few people have had complaints about blade life but mine were great for 2 years or so! Modernised the front end a treat too and the slimmer profile takes the blades out of view at the bottom of the screen 8)

also got new bumpstops, covers, lower ball joints, wishbones and bushes, track rods & ends, top mounts, all of which came at full price from VW as i had no other choice :lol:

So, was that a second mortgage on the house or selling a kidney? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'd be surprised to find out that a lot of the 'consumables' are actually made by the same companies whether they a genuine VAG or OEM/Pattern, but I guess that's the same with most things in life: Paying for the label.

Looks like you won't have to worry about the front end for a few years now though!

i couldn't tell the difference it made, due to changing lots of suspension parts at once, had a leaking shock before that, so handling wasn't too good.

plus i still found the steering a bit weird after doing all the bits, so took it off till i sort that.

So, was that a second mortgage on the house or selling a kidney? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You'd be surprised to find out that a lot of the 'consumables' are actually made by the same companies whether they a genuine VAG or OEM/Pattern, but I guess that's the same with most things in life: Paying for the label.

Looks like you won't have to worry about the front end for a few years now though!

i spent about £1200 in all, and did most of the work with a mate :! :lol:

thats includes the springs and shocks, two new tyres though

something still isn't right tho :(

i didn't really know that at the time, keep reading different opinons on vag vs non-vag stuff, so just went with the vag bits

at least my book of receipts looks good :lol:

Surely all you need now is the rear axle bushes and it'll be like it just drove out of the factory!

Looking really good though mate, and if you end up not using that rear ARB can I have first refusal?? :wink:

someone else has already claimed it :(

i would hope it would just be the rear bushes, but am convienced its too thrashy and pulls all over the road alot, the front end seems knocky

Car is off to the garage today to get the brakes done, thought i'd update this thread while i've been out taking pics.

I've fitted quite a few bits since i last updated this :lol:

Samcos

DSC00652.jpg

Gruvenparts

DSC00659.jpg

Rad:

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

BMC

DSC01195.jpg

Pics from today, its sat in garage waiting for someone to pick it up, then having 288mm front brakes fitted, mk4 rear brakes, new wheel bearings, copper brakes line replaced, handbrake cables etc,

DSC01163.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01221.jpg

wheels are refurbed too

DSC01224.jpg

had to go back to standard grill after breaking the other one when bonnet got stuck

DSC01218.jpg

just dumping all my pics together tbh, not much has changed visually :lol:

thanks chaps, its great fitting new things, wouldn't get any of that fun on a new car :lol: also when its off the road it saves me at least £60 a week in fuel

better pic of the engine bay, seeing as i've tried to clean it up a bit.

DSC01227.jpg

What suspension kit was that and how much of a gap is thier at the front between the arch and tyre?

Cars looking good by the way.