Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

instrument panel

Ok guys, apologies if a thread has already been done for this topic, i used the search but no luck.

I've had a problem with the rear wing (goes up and down randomly) and after some help from here, i was told it probably is just a loose pipe/wire behind the instrument cluster. But :evil: , another problem has also occured. I started the car up and was driving for a couple of mins, when i noticed the rev counter and speedo had gone on strike. Also the trip and the mileage counter had stop counting. and also the MFA didnt work. So i pulled over turned the ignition off and then started it back up, hey presto they were working. However it happened again a few days later. :(

My question is- Is this probably just a loose wire also, or someother problem. If so how do i remove the instrument panel? I know you have to remove the wheel first to make it more accessible. But what do i do to remove the instruments?

Cheers guys!

Try checking fuses, relays etc to see if they are loose. Then I guess take the instrument panel out and check it's connected properly.

Where abouts in Leeds are you Critical_Mass?

You don't really need to take the steering wheel of the remove the instruments - although it would make it easier. You could just drop the column down to the lowest height on the adjuster for a little more room.

I've done a quick diagram so you can see where the screws are (red arrows). The top diagram is how to remove the black plastic surround, the screws at the bottom corners are under plastic caps which should pop off. Once the 4 screws are removed this should lift out.

Clocks.jpg

The instruments are then held by 2 screws at either side and once these are undone the instruments will move forwards although all the wiring/speedo drive will need to be disconnected to remove fully.

Hope it helps,

Gav

I've got the same problem too so I was gonna take my instrument panel out completely and have a look. Whilst it was out I was toying with the idea of converting the green backlight to blue.

Thing is I cant get the thing out!!!

I can pull it forward but I can't unplug the cables going into the back...How on earth is this done? Also what size is the nut that holds the wheel on cos I'm gonna change that whilst I'm messing about.

I've been crawling through speed cameras at about 15mph I think cos I've got no idea what speed I'm travelling and its beginning to grate on me.

Help please

bananawhip, iirc its a 25mm bolt holding the wheel on. the cable plastic holder is removed by squeezing the tab and pulling (difficult to explain) but if you get a look in there its fairly obvious

I had same trouble - it's like doing brain surgery through a letter box but if you unplug the little clip at the left had rear of the clocks as you look at them you'll be able to get them out.