Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Time to move on...?

After nearly 5 (or is it 6 years? :lol: ) of (sometimes painful) ownership and having covered just short of 100k miles with my beloved C (186k in total now), I'm in the mood for a change...

I need more power, but I think it might also be time to try something else... (had a 1.4 Golf before the C, that's the total of my car owning history). I've driven plenty of hire cars, which did nothing for me besides reminding me that ford/vauxhall/fiat et al can all be safely avoided!

In the red corner, I've only been seriously contemplating the Toyota MR2 (the mk2 one, not that roadster thing they have now). Also, this would be the n/a 2.0 16V, not some turbo'd up monster! My dad has owned a succession of them, and of the other cars I've considered, it really is about the only contender.

Rear wheel drive and mid engine would certainly be a dramatic change after the Corrado but I'm not sure if it's going to be that much faster - on paper it appears to be, but the real world might say otherwise.

However, I have been around Corrado owners long enough to know that most that do switch usually regret it :lol:

So in the blue corner, we have the little voices saying "get a VR6"...

Sadly, whilst I have been a passenger in both cars, I've never actually driven either of them. Somehow I feel this will be the real test though.

Whilst I love my current car, it can be hell (emotionally and financially) to keep it going given that I do at least 400 miles a week. The Toyota should be more reliable, and the later models are '99 rather than '95, so getting a low mileage example would be easier (and they are generally cheaper to buy as well).

Perhaps those who have made a switch could give me the benefit of their experiences :?:

Reckon you'll miss the Corrado. You really need to drive a VR6 and MR2 to see what you like. MR2 surely wouldn't be particularly faster than your 16v?

What about a 200SX? Think they were available up to 2001, rear wheel drive, Jap reliability, rare, easy to mod, cheap, look good and as fast as a VR when standard. Worth a look IMHO.

Why buy an old car? Surely you want good handling and reliability to go with that "quicker" car.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I remember reports on the Mk2 MR2 back in the day, and they were supposed to be leathal compared to Mk1. I see loads of them about and most seem to be modded and therefore might be very good for performance etc. Get one of those? Anyhow, thats still going to cost you, being old, certain bits will wear out soon. IMO get a VR, if maintenance upkeep is not an issue for you.

Why not go for a Civic R, or better still a 350z? All depends on funds I guess.

NB: I left the Golf Mk5 out for a poor reason; the interior is barely any better than a Megan. But atleast you'd expect it to be sound.

After nearly 5 (or is it 6 years? :lol: ) of (sometimes painful) ownership and having covered just short of 100k miles with my beloved C (186k in total now), I'm in the mood for a change...

father in law had a mint late 2.0 16v (UK spec) and while it was a solid reliable car (pretty much usual toyota) it suffered at least one rear handbrake/caliper freeze (sound familiar) and with no rear seats or real luggage space was just not as useful a car.

When it comes to the character of the car, I know I'm biased, but the MR2 was pretty soul-less, a bit plastic and a bugger in the wet or ice. The engine was OK, smooth and a bit more power than the 16v corrado, but I wouldn't say really quicker and certainly not any more fuel efficient.

Overall I reckoned it had about as much personality as the RAV4 (with the same engine) my parents had, competent, good in many respects, but just a bit dull - and with the glass T-bar it was really gay too :lol:

What about an MX5, Traditional sports car that one...engine in the correct place...driving the correct wheels,...so predictable handling in the wet.... available normally aspirated or turbo (and even a few V8 conversions out there).

Im gunning for the Blue corner,

A friend has a mk2 Mr 2 and it is a pile of poop. as said before, fun in the dry but unpredictable and scatty in the wet. Plastic fantastic and rattly.

If you are in need of a smooth, sometimes lazy drive with the option of howling like a beast when you feel like it, A Vr IMO is the only option.

How does that Robert Palmer track go again... "gonna have to face it you're addicted to..."

And that probably is the problem I think, I'm clutching at straws trying to think of something else I might like to drive... I just know it's time for a change.

Thanks for suggesting other cars, but they've all been struck off the list already for one reason or another. I think the MR2 is only still on there as I have a little familiarity with them, and I don't hate the way they look.

Somewhat tenuous or what? :oops:

Who am I kidding k022.gif

there really is no choice here is there :cuckoo:

had exactly the same dilemna just before i bought my 2lt c, couldn't find any corrados in my area so was just about to buy a 2lt 16v mr2. as much as it was a lovely car to drive it just never felt as solid as the c! but since moving onto a vr there really is no comparison! the 6 cylinder lump is just so lazy & you just don't realise how fast your going where as the four cylinder you have to rev them canny hard to get them shifting! obviously a corrado is a hell of a lot more practical day to day & as much as i love mr2's i'd have to say get a vr! plus you won't lose much (if any in depreciation) on the vr! suppose it just depends what you'll be using it for?

I am in a similar situation. But after driving a few cars I realise just how good my C is. I will also miss having other C owners flashing me or people asking "What is that?" and people always commenting on how nice it looks.

If I ever change it would have to be a "big" step up for something like a Porsche or something else with loads of power and rear wheel drive. Although I have always fancied an Audi s4 cabriolet. It would be nice to keep the C as a second car in an ideal world !