Sign in to follow this  
reaper1_3

My car hates me again part 2!!!

after no end of running problems a few months ago see previous thread...

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39186&highlight=car+automobile+hates

i thought all had been cured but today my rado has decided to go wrong again!!!

basically car ran fine for 30mins or so and then with no warning total power loss and died.... so i coasted to a stop and tried to re start it and nothing car turned over but would not fire up....

some friendly people gave me a push and the car jump started... ok i thought will drive home but oh no to simple.... the minute i dropped the clutch and slowed down it died again.... again would not start and no friend people too push!!!

so i rang the good old green flag and warned them it was very low!! so they sent out a flat bed wagon and half hour later the recovery man managed to get it on the back took me home and dropped the car off!

after struggling to push it down the gravel drive on my own appart from a few minutes when the local p*ss head tried to help and fell over the fence( very funny but not very helpful!) :lol:

i had the rado half in the garage when my mate rang i answered the phone and slammed the drivers door and to my horror watched the window rise up and the doors lock... yes the key was still in the ignition!! as where the house keys my BMW's keys and garage keys!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

life doesnt get any better!!! :mad:

So i proceeded to break into the rado to retrieve my keys.....!! :mad:

well after that long story if any of you are still reading this and havnt fell of your chairs laughing at my miss fortune i was wondering what might have caused the rado to die, i have checked the spark seems ok and you can smell the fuel so its getting both of them.....?

could it be the imobiliser? (but would have thought the engine would not turn over)?

finally the girlfriend scraped her car along a fence post just to top the day off!!! wing needs painting and a new bumper :cry:

not good mate ive been having pritty much the same problem with mine for a couple of months and still havent got to the bottom of it yet , sounds like a really crap day :( :( :)

Do you mean bump start, as in someone pushes you and you let the clutch up in 2nd when you're at a decent enough speed, or a jump start using leads from another cars battery?

As to the problem, I've no ideas sorry. It's the valver in your sig I take it?

(mine does the window/door lock trick too, thankfully only when I've been in the car. Seems to do it if you switch off and leave the key one notch away from 'on' then it does it)

yep the one in the sig 2.0ltr 16V although the way i feel about it at the mo it may well be flame coloured soon!!!

yeh i meant bump start sorry

I had a similar problem with mine. Check your distributer and particularly the hall sensor, and that its not touching any part of the bit that spins around (for want of a better explaination!). I'd changed my rotor arm at some point and managed to bend that part and it would catch on the hall sensor inside the dizzy, causing the engine to randomnly die. Worth a look?

i had the same prob today too!

have a look at the dizzy cap i would say and make sure the spring a brush in the middle are all ok and the points are clean! could be dodgy HT leads or the coil maybe???

Just a thought, but do you have a second, perhaps previously unknown about, mechanical immobiliser in addition to your electronic one? I only as, as the sympton of it dying when letting the clutch out, is exactly what happened to me on my old valver.

Turned out to be a mechanical immob under the gear stick surround, and every time I depressed the clutch pedal, the frayed wire stretched and kicked in the immobiliser...

Good luck with it mate,

Tom

no other immobiliser that i know of.... whats strange is i have both fuel and a spark?? but it just will not fire.... grrrrrrrrr

mine did similar with a dodgy lift pump in the fuel tank.... idled and just coasted fine when not under load but as soon as you tried to get any kind of throttle from the engine it died just like it was running out of fuel.

started it in the garage after changing the 'suspect' fuel filter but it took a good 5 mins of idling and then 1 min of driving before it rolled over and collapsed.

just a thought, in-tank fuel pump for a valver is pretty cheap

wcrado thanks i wondered if it was a fueling problem but it seems to be getting fuel at start but will check this thanks.....

quick question how do you get to the in tank pump???