Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

New boy - First of many questions!!!

Hi all, just defected from the Audi Forum after buying a '93 VR6 'rado to replace my 2.6 Audi Coupe. (That's another one to tick off the list of "Cars I will own before I die"!). I've owned loads of 'dubs over the years but am a complete Corrado novice, so no doubt I'll have loads of questions for you knowledgeable chaps! Here's a couple to get started - The car is great, everything I hoped it would be (although build quality not quite up to Audi standards, but the VR6 lump more than makes up for that!). I've noticed that there's a slight hesitancy/missing as I accelerate which happens at just under 2k rpm, this clears up above 2k and is silky smooth right up to the redline. It also seems a little lumpy at idle. These problems seem the same whether the engine's cold or warm. Any suggestions as to possible causes/cures greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Robbo

I have seen a lot of people complain of noisy idling on the VR6, so I assume it is just a characteristic of the engine and nothing to seriously worry about. As for the acceleration problem, im not sure :(

I don't know what it is with the 2.9 engine, the 2.8 seems a much better unit.

I reckon it has a small mechanical defect as I've yet to see a 2.9 idle smoothly.

I was working on my car today and a Golf VR6 purred past and then stopped at the junction adjacent to my drive. It just purred, dead smooth idle and no obscure noises. I was right miffed!

Mine also has the hesitancy problem below 2000rpm. Still haven't isolated that problem yet, despite replacing everything electrical on the engine!

Kev

I've got to say Kev, that my VR doesn't idle all that badly really. Ok, so it's not completely smoth and flat but I wouldn't class it as wild or erratic etc.

I've got to say Kev, that my VR doesn't idle all that badly really. Ok, so it's not completely smoth and flat but I wouldn't class it as wild or erratic etc.

Mine neither, it's just slightly lumpy. When the engine is cold, it does idle dead smooth but gets worse as the engine warms up. Must just be a VR6 thing as I've replaced the MAF, throttle position sensor, cam sensor, engine speed sensor, coil pack, leads, inlet hose, idle valve the list goes on!

Kev

Thanks for all the replies guys, I can see this forum is going to be essential in owning & running a Corrado! Re: FurkiG60 - perhaps I should have mentioned it is due a service, maybe that will smooth things out a bit. The lumpy idle isn't bad at all & seems it's a common thing, it may be due to the fact thet it seems to idle at very low revs (sub 700 when warmed up), is this normal? I was also wondering if an HT lead upgrade might help things? (the plugs are quite new).

cheers, Robbo

Mine will idle smoothly at 500 when warmed up. Do you run it on Super Unleaded or Optimax? The VR loves high octane fuel, only complaint being that it mutes the howl slightly when you boot it.