Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Time to sell up and move on?? Help

Having bored the office with my car woes, time to ask for your help too. I just don't know what to do!

Bit of background: About a year ago I started to travel a little further to work (went from 20 to 70 miles a day) So I bought a Leon TDi to keep the cost down and the miles off the Storm. At the time both cars were used at the weekend for all the family duties. I expected to put 20-22k PA on the Leon and 5k PA on the Rado. 5 months ago my wife got a new mini which is well spec'ed. Now I find that the Leon goes only on my commute and the Storm does the odd commute and very occasional weekend use (less creature comforts makes it 2nd choice for family use). This pushes my milage down to 15k and 3k. The storm is often stood for weeks at a time.

I think that the Storm and the Leon will cost me about £1000 PA each to run, insurance, tax, mot, servicing. without any nasties cropping up.

So... I started to think that I could raise about £10K selling both cars with spares, and afford to spend more on fuel without having any difference in the pocket. What would you do (VAG ideas please). I like subtle OEM+ motors, family requires nothing smaller than I have now, I would like something with as much go! (or near as)

The other idea, is to sell the leon, and do work on the Storm, but I'm not sure I'd be happy putting so many miles on the it and the servicing my not stay so cheap much longer!

If I do sell the Storm it will be the hardest thing I ever do.

Any Advice welcome, Thanks.

My heart says, "Keep the Corrado!".

I was in a similar situation, I had my Corrado and a 2000 model Leon Cupra, eventually I sold the Leon because I could not get much for the Corrado.

I am missing the Leon quite a bit, because it was no fuss motoring - very easy if a little dull some times.

My suggestion would be, sell them both and get a Leon Cupra TDI and get it revo'd. You get the best of both worlds then. A mate has a Leon Cupra TDI and reckons on average being revo'd he loses about 1-2 mpg compared to standard, which means he still gets around 48mpg on a long run, and according to him its now 190bhp and 290Ibft!

This all boils down to how much you like the Corrado.

I do sh1t load of miles in mine and use it daily. Every morning I look forward to driving it. At 16:50 every day at work I look forward to driving it home again. Even though it is a commute over boring roads, it's the car that makes the journey more interesting and special. If I had some modern Euro box as a second car (especially a TDI), I'd be bored to tears and end up using the Corrado. I just cannot see the point of buying a nice car, being passionate about it and then using something else for the sake of a few quid in motion potion and reducing mileage. If/When I get a second car, it'll be as mad, if not madder than the Corrado to make each journey interesting.

Mileage and fuel don't worry me, the Corrado is a car, and cars are made for driving, it doesn't get an special treatment.

keep the Corrado...........I bought my 993 almost a year ago and obviously drove that more than my C........at the beginning of the year my C developed a few niggles that hacked me off no end and i did think about selling it,but once i sorted those wee niggles out I wised up to the idea and I'm glad i did........its obviously not as good a drivers car as the 993 but it still gives me a grin everytime i drive it............i think there's very little modern out there for £10k that will deliver those kind of feelings,and without doubt within a few weeks of selling you'll realise that too

In a similar position to you. Had my 'C' for seven years initially as a daily driver then got a company car - Leon Cupra TDI which as a tool for the daily commute or business trips was great. The Leon's been replaced now with a Golf 2.0TDI which is chipped and great fun to drive. It means I now get less chance to drive the 'C' (only did 1500 miles last year) but I wouldn't dream of getting rid as I can't wait for the opportunity to drive it, because as you already know it doesn't compare in terms of the fun factor. Think very seriously before you decide about the value compared to what you've got and what you could get, and if you're like me the decision begins to become a no-brainer. The choice is yours.

to add it my post above too

I've had my C now for 5years...............prior to that the longest i'd had a car was 2.5years.........yes there are faster motors out there the likes of S3/S4's etc but they don't have the character and the rareness that the C has,and thats a bigger part of motoring enjoyment that I enjoy the most

Having made this post and considered the actual sale of the Storm more seriously I have been miserable as sin. Heart still says keep, head says family euro box :scratch:

What I need is one of you Supercharged VR owners to take me out for spin to make my mind up!

I never used to be concerned about the mileage or what I lugged about in it. If I am honest with myself now I just need to consider what price I put on pleasure. In depreciation terms its cost 4k in nearly 45,000 miles. I may as well use it and enjoy it. Anything I buy is going to loose money quicker.

If I bolt on the goodies in the garage, get the bodywork touched up will I be happy? and then perhaps charge it... will I be happy then?