Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Bypassing Matrix.. really need some help *updated*

* UPDATE SEE LAST POST *

Well to make life worse (well it doesn't get any better after all) my heater matrix went last night while helping a friend. After all, no good dead goes without punishment.

So... I limped it home and now have an issue. I need to drive the car 400km this Friday to get it to a garage that is doing some work for me. Along with this work I'll get them to replace the heater matrix....

At least I think it's the heater matrix as steam comes out the vents when the fans on hot. It's fine on cold though, so not sure if I have the bypass valve filted. Would be nice to stop things getting too wet and steamy inside.

So this leads to my two questions and a prayer for help..

1) What exact tubes do i need to bypass in the engine to skip the heater matrix and get the car running ? I know I need a 20mm copper pipe (90 degree angle) and a couple of clips, but that's all I know) Pictures would be great.

2) Since my ETKA has died on me as well.... does anybody have the part number for this ? and are there anymore parts that should get replaced at the same time ?

Thanks....

Get to a Plumbase or similar and get something like this made up:

bypass1.jpg

bypass2.jpg

They did it for free and it lasted for months without any probs.

The double-collars worked excellently as guides for the jubilee clips to hold onto.

Just spoke to my boss at work, and he had the same thing on his Audi and replaced it himself. Not sure why but he's keepn to relive the experience and help me get the car running again...... If not then the bypassu-bend will do me fine till I can get a mechanic to look at it. Thanks for the pics andi... Don't suppose you have one of the engine bay where the tubes are do you ?

Nope, but its fairly obvious.

There's two tubes which disappear into the firewall in the middle of the right hand side - just pop both those off, and put the U'y between the two pipes.

Ok cool.... I'll take a look around for a plumbing shop and get things patched up...

Don't suppose you know the part number in ETKA for the Matrix do you ?

In this pic, on the VR6 they are just to the right of the silver insulating wrapping at rear bulkhead of engine compartment - they both disappear into the dashboard area so it is obvious when you look for yourself. Good luck.

Ok cool.... I'll take a look around for a plumbing shop and get things patched up...

Don't suppose you know the part number in ETKA for the Matrix do you ?

Sorry, no, but I got mine from Euro Car Parts and they found it on their system fine and seemed solid quality.

I take it you'll have similar companies in Germany who can source pattern parts? Or is OEM cheap enough?

Do you really need the bends in the bypass section?

I used a straight section of copper pipe in a Mk2 Golf before with no problems, although I had to do a bit of adjusting to prevent the rubber pipes from kinking, but it worked fine for me.

Depends how long you want it to last!

Bending the rubber pipes into angles they're not supposed to be in, will cause kinks under pressure regardless of how well you try and manouver it.

Which in turn will be a weak spot, and eventually will cause the pipe to split.

Using a U'y will ensure they live longer ;)

Well to be honest I only need it to last a 400/500km stretch of Autobahn..... but I'll go for a U-bend as it'll fit better I think.

Thanks for all the help guys.... I'm sure one of these days something will go right for me ;)

Ok, looks like I'll definetly need the part numbers for the following .:

Heater Matrix

Radiator Thermostat

Can anybody with ETKA and a few seconds pull up the part numbers for me... Please.....

Ok I've been trying to get the 2 hoses off for an hour, and come to the realisation that due to the amount of other things in the way I'm not going to get this done without lots of extra work stripping things out (Like the start motor.. I think)

So... here's the status and the question...

Right now my rad temp sensor is broken, so no fan, and no rad to cool the water (I can jam the fan on full though manually by crossing pin 1 & 3). This is probably what broke the Matrix. Still, that's just another thing to sort. Right now if I have the car on, after about 60 seconds I get steam in the car, however only if I have the heater controls set to hot (fan off or on, doesn't matter). If I set the dial to cold I get nothing, no problems. I have no loss of coolant, at least nothing I can see... and no wet carpet.

So here's the question. My car is booked in at a garage on Saturday to be worked on. Including replacing the matrix and rad switch. However the garage is in Austria and a good 450km drive from here. I don't want to drive the car with a faulty matrix, but it's seeming like it might be the only option. What sort of problems will this cause (could this cause) ?

and no rad to cool the water

Correwct me if I'm wrong: You're looking at driving a good 450 miles without a rad? Erm, don't do it.

(Like the start motor.. I think)

That would be your ignition coil, easy to remove, just undo 2 nuts in the scuttle area, and you'll have easier access to the 2 coolant hoses sticking out from the firewall.

Tempest

So the internal diameter of the rubber hoses is roughly 22mm mate?

I take it the copper pipe goes inside the rubber hose?

Cheers

Yup, gives it a nice snug fit - I guessed at 18mm first!!

If you go down B&Q the sell a bit of copper pipe that you can bend with your hands, i've had mine on for about 600 miles now with no probs.

I bought one of those bendy things already mate - my first guess was way worse than yours - 15mm!! :(

So they do a 22mm flexi repair kit thingy as well?

Certainly do, I think it's about 7 or 8 quid. A pipe bender will not get a tight enough bend to keep the pipes close enough together and you get kinks.

:D