Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

How do I polish this?

Hi

Recently bought a Shrek intake that has previously been polished but is now looking a wee bit tired.

I am a complete polishing virgin so was wondering how I go about it.

I'll get one of those little dremel things, but what attachments should I use? If I use a sanding band will it scratch the fek out of the metal? The main bit of the system is fine and looks like it will polish up with a rag etc, but the bit pictured has some pitting and i'd like to get into the corners a bit more to finish it off.

Please could someone explain in simple terms so I don't damage my toy!

Cheers :)

Cheers - so is that a dremel type thing but better?

I really haven't got a clue! Do you start with a sander then get finer then polish with a felt attachment? I am really worried about doing damage that I won't be able to reverse.

It might have to be a local purchase too as I really need to start today and get it up to Vince for fitting.

I've been doing the manifolds and rocker covers off my car for the last few weeks.....got a very good result using a dremel fitted with a very small sandpaper disk cut from a standard sheet of wet & dry! it's a much quicker way to get some of the larger casting marks back to a smooth finish!

Started out using 100g then gradually made if smoother using 180g - 400g and then finally 800g with the dremel. Then gave it a final going over with 800g and 1500g wet sandpaper by hand.

then gave it a final polish with some autosol...resulted in an absolute mirror finish....can read text from books on the other side of the room in the reflection!

Cheers folks - that lot should get me started.

I'm still confused though. I'm just gonna go and but a kit and try it on the back first!