Sign in to follow this  
aclwalker

VR6 radiator fan supplier.

Anyone know where I can get a VR6 radiator fan (the motorised one of the two) from?

I had ordered one from GSF for £68+VAT which was a great price considering VW want £280+VAT.

However, the one they got in was a Mk II Golf one, incorrectly labelled. They checked all the others they had in all the branches showing them and they were all incorrectly labelled.

They say it will be at least a MONTH now before they could get one for me!

ECP want £100 and their website says they're out of stock too.

I really don't want to pay £330 for a motor with a plastic fan attached to it.

Any help appreciated.

Lose the stupid, heavy, inefficient things and pop a couple of SPAL or Kenlowe 11" suction fans on there instead. In fact, I have just one 11" SPAL on mine at the moment and it does the same job as the OE fans on speed 2.

They're about £80 ish each....and they're dead quite, weigh hardly anything and 2" thick. A good upgrade imo.

You can also just hook them both up to Speed 1 on the main connector and speeds 2 and 3 will be redundant as they're so efficient.

Alternatively, you can buy my OE fans as I don't use them anymore, they're fine.

Where could I get these SPAL or Kenlowe fans? Would they require a different cowling (I've just bought a new cowling!)?

Thanks

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but I'm in a position where I want to buy either Kenlowe or Spal.

Questiions;

1. Will the standard cowling be fine for either Spal/Kenlowe?

2. I may aswell replace both fans with the aftermarket ones?

3. What size is the standard ones, i assume obviously go for the same size kenlow/spal?

4. How much is a new cowling? Stealers only or someplace else?

Sorry to bring this from the dead, but I'm in a position where I want to buy either Kenlowe or Spal.

Questiions;

3. What size is the standard ones, i assume obviously go for the same size kenlow/spal?

I ended up buying a genuine fan from a guy on Ebay. IIRC VW wanted £280 for a new fan, whereas a guy on Ebay was selling them for just over £100. I think he had a job lot. I could dig out his ID if you want.

I also had to buy a new cowling as mine had actually fell apart. The Corrado fans are almost the whole size of the radiator so the cowling is very thin in points. Also, some clown had not fitted it properly in the past (presumably when replacing the radiator) so my cowling had got bent and then corroded at this damage point such that it had snapped.

A new cowling was £65 from VW, IIRC. I've seen a few of them on Ebay before. I think the Corrado one is specific to the Corrado though, and hence so is the fan. I don't think a Golf or Passat one will work (unless you get the fans too).

I kept the original unpowered fan and moved it to my new cowling.

Sorry, I don't have the answers to your other questions.

Yeah, the VR fan is a big unit but a nice beefy bit of kit and not bad for £100 if still being sold, my mate got one and it's deffo genuine VAG...

Worth checking the bearings on the second fan tho when changing as his were shot, new belt is about a fiver.

Questiions;

Some pointers that may help:

1. Standard cowling is okay for 10 and 11" Spals. although the unpowered one will need to be held on with tie wraps as well as the screws. Also it wont sit flush on the shroud.

2. Yes replace both fans with aftermarket, they're very quiet and light

3. standard fans are 11" iirc, although if you wanted to ditch the shroud you could get away with a single 12" and attach te fan to the rad with tie wraps or long screws going through the rad.

4. No idea :)

HTH