Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

VR6 Starting Problem With Lumpy Idle!

Right my rado struggles to stay running when you start it from cold. You have to keep the revs up to keep it running otherwise it just stalls! After its been running a minute or two ,stalling a couple of times it idles but lumpy!

Seems to pull fine and has had lots of parts already replaced :

(SECOND HAND)

COIL PACK

MAF

ECU

INJECTORS

(NEW PARTS)

OE LEADS

PLUGS

BLUE TEMP SWITCH

CAM POSITION SENDER

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

FUEL FILTER

Once the car is running and idling it may cut out occasionally at a junction but the idle seems to drop fairly well. Ive checked that the relays are clicking. They click twice before the key is turned fully with a final click. Ive checked it for air leaks using brake cleaner around the intake/ pipes etc. I have had it on VAG-COM recently when it had this problem and it didn't show anything. I haven't had it on there lately but I will in the next week or so. I have thought maybe fuel pump ,but it doesn't seem to make that much noise ,but I can here it.

Would the big yellow temp switch have anything to do with the cold start or running? My dad has ordered a new black and yellow sensor for me anyway!

Any advice would be much appreciated as I haven't got much hair left! :mad:

I think Ive found the problem!

After taking the ISV off again to give it another clean I noticed it is actually seized almost shut or open? You can get a screw driver in the top but it doesn't budge at all. Hopefully this is the cause of the problem and then I can start enjoying my new mods and stop complaining about the running!

But theres always something else to move onto eh ! :)

EDIT: How much is it supposed to open?

You should be able to open /close the ISV fully (or almost fully) with a screwdriver. If you can't move it at all then that definitely won't be helping the idle.

Of course being a Corrado, as you say, there's always something else to move onto so even if you replace the isv there's no guarantee this will solve the problem but it does seem extremely likely.

The gap it was stuck at was about 4mm approx open. Once I got it moving freely but only 4mm to closed position! Is this as far as its meant to open?

The gap it was stuck at was about 4mm approx open. Once I got it moving freely but only 4mm to closed position! Is this as far as its meant to open?

It should open wide open the size of the hole,i would bin that ISV.

Got a new ISV off my dad discounted as he works for Audi for £130 inc. I think he said it was around £200 retail!

So I got a bargain, and it cured the problem so Im well chuffed!