Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Engine stalling and not idling properly

I got my valver back from the bodyshop today, it's had a nasty dent repaired. I was really chuffed until I went to start it.

It turns over fine but doesn't idle properly. It goes to about 1000rpm when you turn it on, but then the idle just drops off to nothing and the engine cuts out. After a while of pressing the accelerator to keep the revs up it stayed up like normal. So I drove it a bit but before long when I was braking (therefore not on the gas) the revs just dropped well below 1000rpm again and it cut out.

I've done some searches, could this be the idle stabiliser valve? Or does it sound more like something else? I'm not very good with the engines so any help would be appreciated. I'm gutted to have yet another problem :( I'm just hoping its not too bad cos I can't keep up with all that neds doing!!

As BLACKG60, said check for intake/vac leaks. You could also take the ISV off and clean it with carb cleaner, then spray a little WD40 down it as it may seize up like mine because I never! It cost me £130 for a new on, but my dad works for Audi. I think he said its around £200!

Thanks for the advice guys. Now its time for me to embarrass myself :oops:

Where is the ISV? I've decided I need to take it off and clean it, there's no way I can afford £200 for a new ISV (that would mean the end of me and my C :( ) I've searched loads and am hopeful that cleaning the ISV might do it, but I can't find anywhere detailing how to remove it etc. I'm new to engines and stuff cos I didn't care before my Corrado! Basically where is it and what bits do I need to take off to get at it? And what does it look like?

Also have you got any advice about checking for leaks in the vacuum pipes? I'll look and see if I can spot any by looking but is there any tips on how to find small leaks that you might not see by eye?

Sorry for being so dumb but like I say I'm new to this but I'm really enjoying getting my car fixed up in different ways and am learning as I go along. Just want to get the basic running sorted now so I can move onto more interesting mods! Cheers

ISV is the say 5" lond silver torpedo with tubes coming off of it that sits on top of the rocker cover {top of the engine} just make sure all the pipes are seated well - as for leaks if you cant hear them or see splits etc and you still want to check you can buy sealant check at car parts shop :salute:

Thanks BLACKG60. I've had a good look this afternoon. There were 2 pipes which were really loose and coming away so I've pushed them back on tightly. Hopefully that will help.

I also spotted one of the HT leads is split at the distributer end, do you think that could be part of the problem?

I'm still trying to find this ISV as I want to clean it to be sure. But I can't find anything like you described. Mine is a 9a 2L 16v which might be different from a G60? Any ideas? I'm guessing its tucked away inside or under something else. I've attached a photo of my engine bay if that helps?

Thanks a lot.

hi, i'm about to do the same thing as my idle is really erratic. i have the same engine as you and if i'm right (which i'm not sure i am) the isv is black on it and it sits above the distributor cap towards the ht leads. on the end of the plastic pipe which is in the middle of the leads and the fuel pipes :)

The ISV is sat on the right hand side of the engine bay as you look at it (in the picture above) Where the ignition leads go into the plastic hold/cover thing, its just behind that, it should be a cylinder shape with a wire going into the back and a black pipe connected to the front. Hope that helps guys.

The ISV is sat on the right hand side of the engine bay as you look at it (in the picture above) Where the ignition leads go into the plastic hold/cover thing, its just behind that, it should be a cylinder shape with a wire going into the back and a black pipe connected to the front. Hope that helps guys.
hi, i have given it a good dose of carb cleaner but no difference !

there is also no difference whether the electric plug is attatched or not.

i guess this means either no power getting to it or the isv is jammed.

is there any way to un-jam it? will i just fill it with carb cleaner and leave it overnight?

cheers martin

You could try that, or use petrol. But as someone said earlier if its seized then maybe you require a new one. I'm quite new to this corrado lark so i haven't really experienced one breaking before. But hopefully you can get things sorted.

Thanks BLACKG60. I've had a good look this afternoon. There were 2 pipes which were really loose and coming away so I've pushed them back on tightly. Hopefully that will help.

I also spotted one of the HT leads is split at the distributer end, do you think that could be part of the problem?

I'm still trying to find this ISV as I want to clean it to be sure. But I can't find anything like you described. Mine is a 9a 2L 16v which might be different from a G60? Any ideas? I'm guessing its tucked away inside or under something else. I've attached a photo of my engine bay if that helps?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry mate yeah your right your engine is totally different from mine I've given up with mine now its all going t1ts up will have one last go today and then it will have to wait for a couple of months untill after x-mas before I have any kind of money then I hope to take it {or drag it down to Darren G-werks} and ask him to sort it and tweek it :? :( :cry:

Thanks for your help evryone. I've found it now. Will get some carb cleaner this afternoon and have a go at cleaning it over the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Easypops, if you do a search for ISV there is another thread where somones ISV was stuck. I can't remember what they said but somthing about opening the ISV with a screwdriver. Might be worth looking into that, just click on seach above and type in ISV. Apparently they cost £200 for a new ISV :shock: so hopefully you can fix it. Hope I can fix mine too :?

I had a similar problem with mine, with the revs dropping and it cutting out if I took my foot off the accelerator, and the problem was actually the speedo speed sensor. I had also been experiencing problems with the speedo working erratically, and these two problems were linked. Upon changing this sensor both problems went away. So might be worth having a look at this if you don't get any luck with the other suggestions. From what I remember the new sensor was just over £20 from the dealer.

I had a similar problem with mine, with the revs dropping and it cutting out if I took my foot off the accelerator, and the problem was actually the speedo speed sensor. I had also been experiencing problems with the speedo working erratically, and these two problems were linked. Upon changing this sensor both problems went away. So might be worth having a look at this if you don't get any luck with the other suggestions. From what I remember the new sensor was just over £20 from the dealer.

top shout that mate can't go wrong for the sake of a score can you :salute:

Yes that's really helpful about the speedo senser, thanks for telling us. I'd much rather try that than fork out £200 for a new ISV. I've got a few things to check out now so I'm really chuffed. Hopefully can sort this one out fairly easily :)