Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

What are my options with my Corrado? Sell? Convert?

Ok ladies and gents - if you could perhaps give me some open opinions and thoughts on direction then that would be helpful.

I've owned a g60 for the past 2 years and it's been great. At times and love hate relationship and due to discovering it needing a lot of TLC - i've poured a lot of effort and money into it. Friends both on here and away have watched it improve - i'd say after the 2 years dramatically. However, it's got to the stage where my enthusiasm was running thin and I arrived at the idea of another car for the 3rd time round. A week ago I was convinced selling up was the best move forward and looked into an S3.

The S3 was not the car I thought it was - and despite being fast, handling on the quattro system superb, luxurious with the heated leather, multitude of gadgets and buttons to press, it just lacked the wow factor. As I explained to friends - I still walk out of my door, see the corrado and think - that cars awesome and thank goodness thats mine not my neighbours. I can not think what else on the market has that balance of style, fun and practicality (it can be practical in my opinion).

At the moment I have a load of kit waiting to be fitted - big valve head with piper 285 cam, leda suspension, exhaust, various water system bits, new shaft seals/cam belt and vr6 clutch, new alternator, new distributor, new plugs and leads, new cv joints and new wheels and tyres, chip and pulley have just been fitted. Do I now consider;

1) rebuilding the bottom end and fit the above head, fit all the goodies above along with an intercooler and get it RR tuned. obviously keep it. Good fun driving - expensive in the long run I'd imagine - new engine essentially - limits progression in terms of performance unless go 1.9.

2) keep it yet 225bhp 1.8T it. Newer engine, good power from the word go - reliability? - price of actually doing this conversion...

3) sell it and all the parts (amounting to around £4k) and consider buying a friends well modded vr6 pumping out 225bhp with a rebuilt gearbox inc atb diff @ around (£5-6k) - solid car - price... - future mods? - am i really going to benefit?

Money is the question - I don't have a lot as I also have a new mortgage to smile about - but I'm having a certain degree of difficulty determining what is the best option. Buying another car other than a Corrado isn't. My car has a long road in terms of tuning - but is it worth it? Is it worth swapping either car or engine to save all the expense and hassle? Any advice/opinions towards what may be most cost effective, what may be the most fun, what offers more in the long run, perhaps future options wise/reliability/etc - are most welcome. I've been incredibly indecisive about this for some time now and it's starting to do my head (and others). So help me work out what to do!

They'll be detail I've missed out I'm sure so ask if something doesn't quite add up.

if it was me..........i'd only be looking at option 1 or 2 obviously more biased to the VR...it might not be as tuneable as the 1.8 G60 lump but that soundtrack is worth having a slower car for

yes it is lovely - however theres a lot of factors I need to consider. i dont think any of the options are particularly cheap - but still considerably cheaper than going with a different car - so i should stick with either of the 3. more opinions more opinions more opinions please!

keep the G mate i dont know if you need the bottom end done as mike_g60 runs 242 bhp with no bottom end work to date!

you have a very similar spec to me big valve gas flowed head piper 285 cam ported manifold and throttle body bmc induction kit r1 spec charger 68mm pulley chip!

Sell the charger, chip and pulley and turbo the 8V lump with a rebuilt bottom end... A hefty amount of boost would see you the wrong side of 300bhp and for less than a 1.8T conversion too I'd wager...

Sell the charger, chip and pulley and turbo the 8V lump with a rebuilt bottom end... A hefty amount of boost would see you the wrong side of 300bhp and for less than a 1.8T conversion too I'd wager...

only after a 1.9 conversion and some other work - i'd expect as expensive than the 1.8T if not perhaps more? (given a 1.8T returns 1k from selling the G60 setup)

Buy the vr for 6k, then a year down the line sell the schrick and cams for 1200 and spend 2k supercharging it. :wink:

vr6storm, did you delete your post or has the forum lost it? It is my car that Leon is interested in btw. :wink:

what about option 4)

sell your car and buy biggerbigbens and have an already converted 1.8T and 4wd thrown in.

No no no, not an option for leon, though it could make it to my list of options for if I sell the vr. :wink:

what about option 4)

sell your car and buy biggerbigbens and have an already converted 1.8T and 4wd thrown in.

lovely car - but the interior doesn't do it for me - i'm happy with the std interior - i'm a mountain biker and hill walker - that cream interior would be mince in no time ;)