Sign in to follow this  
Benny

Over-cautious?

Hi all.

Well I went to see a rather nice g60 the other day, which I was going to swap for my mk3 Golf 16v. It had 120k on it, and the charger had been serviced by Jabbasport (stage4) about 10k ago. When I arrived the car was stunning in the v.dark purple colour...and was sitting on a set of refurbed BBS wheels. ..the engine sounded sweet....and hardly any marks on the paintwork. The other guy liked mine, so deal was almost done. Yet when I was lookin through the reciepts, I noticed it had been stolen and recovered...and it also had had £3000's worth of accident damage repaired in 2001 (most of it bodywork, but the sump had also been replaced as part of the job)! None of this showed up on the useless HPI check I did prior to going up (and he didn't warn me either!)...and on top of that the guy was selling the car after a month of owning it.

So, after a long hard think about it...I decided to leave the car even though it looked so good! Was this a bit over-cautious, or do you guys think I was right to leave it behind?

well he said he was a bit bored, and fancied a change of car.The car did look awesome and very clean...but I think it was the fact that he didn't mention any of this before I went up that really put me off.

I reckon he wants shot of it because he found out the history as well?

I'd probably but it cos I'm useless at that sort of thing, but my advice would be walk away :)

Yup. That was my thoughts on it.....wants shut of a g60 after a month cos he's bored does'nt seem right somehow...so I thought he had got it home, checked it over and realised some major problems so decided to get shut of it. Thats what i keep telling myself anyway...at the same time as kicking myself for not just going for it!

owned for a month and got 'a bit bored'?

he's either picked it up cheap due to the history and is trying to sell it on for more and make a bit of money or hes found the history and just wants shot of it.

Depends how confident you are in your abilities to spot a duffer, if its had £3000 worth of repairs done you know its at least gone through an insurance company and has probably been repaired to a good standard. Stolen/recovered hmm, well thats not that big a deal until you come to sell it on yourself. I dont think it'd put me off. Its definatly not worth what hes asking for it if hes not disclosed the murky history though! Might be worth paying for an AA inspection or something? just to make sure theres nothing nasty lurking under its shiny paintwork?