Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Scirocco just an "old VW"

Well, after I have acquired some bumper scuffs on my beloved Mk1 Rocco recently (my rear alley has been narrowed just where my garage happens to be :roll: cured as of last night, after the bumper scuffs have happened), I decided to try out one of these Chips Away franchises rather than having to leave my Mk1 in the (in)competent hands of a bodyshop.

At least they come out to you where I can whack them, if they hurt my Mk1 :lol:

Anyway, I phoned up my local franchise this morning, told the lady what car I have ... don't know what she's written down, though, as she already struggled to write down my surname when I spelt it out to her.

Phoned back just a minute ago to find out whether I'd been given an appointment, and she replied:

"Yes, yes, I remember the call this morning, you were the one with the .... erm ... erm ... old VW!" :lol:

So there you have it folks, I no longer drive Sciroccos rather than just an old VW :roll:

What the boys with the potentially new Scirocco in a few years time might say to that ... :lol:

Tempest

To be fair I think anyone not into cars see them as old VWs, the same applies with any classic, when I was a kid there was a guy near me with a lotus cortina, to my mates not into cars it was just an old ford :roll:

I've never liked the Scirocco, so I concur, it's just an old VW!!

MK2 Golf, Corrado, MK5 - They're the only VWs that remotely interest me I'm afraid.

Well.. the Corrado would be nothing without the Scirocco so it deserves some recognition!

I was watching traffic cops the other week and they pulled over a bloke in a scirocco, he worked at a garage and was doing some restoration work on it. After the copper got back in the car he said ' i don't know why he's bothered with that, its an old rust bucket'

bas***ds

I've never liked the Scirocco, so I concur, it's just an old VW!!

MK2 Golf, Corrado, MK5 - They're the only VWs that remotely interest me I'm afraid.

Tasteless comments there :lol: Sciroccos never are and have never been VWs. They're Karmanns. But I too often let that one go through anyway :lol:

If it hadn't been for Karmann we wouldn't have a Rocco, nor would we have a Rado for that matter, as VW never managed to build a sports car or coupe, ever. Ghia? Nope, a Karmann. 924? They gave up on that and gave it to Porsche. VW make Beetles and boring Goofs (where if pushed I'd be tempted by a Mk1, certainly none of the later ones). The rest they buy in (Bugatti, Lambo, Audi, yes even Audi was bought in end of 60s to finally be able to move away from their outdated aircooled rear wheel drive technology).

Anyway, I just call anything with 4 wheels and a steering wheel which isn't a Rocco or Rado another bucket or shopping trolley or dustbin, no matter what it is, there being very very few exceptions.

The 911 wouldn't exist if not for Hitler, does he deserve recognition?

No valid comparison, as the Rocco and Rado were at least developed and sold in a free democratic society. Even Porsche did not necessarily approve of what was happening to his designs under the regime. But if pushed and given the way the statement was phrased (it's the wording that matters often as well as historical inaccuracies), the answer to your question would almost have to be yes. Now flame me, folks :lol:

Tempest

Well.. the Corrado would be nothing without the Scirocco so it deserves some recognition!

indeed..........we're all vdub/karmann fans on here i hope- leave the anti-rocco comments to the ill-informed 'comics'.

For now an old VW is more fun than a new VW!

It certainly is, Doug :-) I'm afraid to say, that that will continue to be the case for many more years to come. The Mk5 Goof despite the press raving about its handling being so similar to the Mk1 Goof still doesn't do it for me in the looks-department (it looks sh*te, to put it finely :lol:), let alone failing on that other major criterion for me: How easy is it to work on a car. That latter criterion makes up at least 50% of joy of ownership of a car for me (daily bangers excepted, where I simply wouldn't care). Simplicity of design and DIY-friendliness is blatantly missing from any new car these days, where you can't even change a light-bulb anymore without taking off the front wing (Merc A-class, new Beetle for example). On the Mk5 Goff you need to take the front wing off to reposition the doors :roll: That's one of the reasons why it takes VW no less than 40 hours average to build one compared to a competitor such as the Focus, which Ford knocks out in half the time (source: Boston Consulting who've analysed why VW is in such deep financial troubels, they've not recently heard of design-for-manufacture). Go figure.

Tempest

Hmm....

They're all just old VW's to anyone other than an enthusiast are they not?

There is actually nothing particularly special about a rocco/rado unless you're into them. Yeah they're good, but at the end of the day they are just cars.

Personally I fookin love em, but I can understand why people don't really care.

indeed..........we're all vdub/karmann fans on here i hope- leave the anti-rocco comments to the ill-informed 'comics'.

And we'll leave your comments to the humourless dullards....

924? They gave up on that and gave it to Porsche.

well technically Porsche did design it for them.............til VW got cold feet......one things for sure it certainly helped Porsche on the road to profitability that lasted til the late 80's

:roll:

Amazing how easy it is to fall out over such trivial matters!

trivial matters!

Trivial matters? These are questions of life and death (or should that be life or death? :lol:), well, to Rocco/Rado-fans at least :roll:

well technically Porsche did design it for them.............til VW got cold feet

Yes, it was actually a joint-venture, but would have been sold under the VW-logo. I suppose I can give VW some credit for at that point of time allowing an enthusiastic bunch of engineers (not accountants, that's for sure :lol:) to come up with dropping a K-Jet engine into a Mk1 Golf, creating the GTI icon as we now know it :-)

To be fair I think anyone not into cars see them as old VWs,

True, but I wouldn't expect that sort of indifference from a ChipsAway or other bodyshop outlet, where the main business is to work on cars. Bit like going to PC World and them not knowing anything about computers ... :oops: bad example :lol:

Tempest

lol - very bad example!!! :)

I think maybe you're being a bit naive though mate? I don't think the average guy gives a monkey's what he's working on. I think you're perhaps assuming that everyone who works with cars is a car enthusiast.

I work with buildings but couldn't give a rat's a*se about them to be honest! :)

(I know what you're saying though)

I work with buildings but couldn't give a rat's a*se about them to be honest!

Yeah, WTF are you doing in your current job then ? :lol:

I have to admit that I don't always like my job, as a large proportion of the population seem to start to get bored with their jobs over time, I presume, but overall I'm happy with what it is. There are far worse things out there (slave labouring in China for p*ss-poor salaries whilst the fruits of your labour go to some rich b*stard, ... erm have been reading too much on the Chinese threat to our Western economies again :lol:)

Tempest

I was watching traffic cops the other week and they pulled over a bloke in a scirocco, he worked at a garage and was doing some restoration work on it. After the copper got back in the car he said ' i don't know why he's bothered with that, its an old rust bucket'

bas***ds

Lets be fair it was a heap of sh't though

I work with buildings but couldn't give a rat's a*se about them to be honest!

Yeah, WTF are you doing in your current job then ? :lol:

Supporting my ex wife ;)

this is pretty full on!

im not bothered if someone sees my car as a 15 yr old VW/ knackard old turd/ whatever.

i drive it, i enjoy it, i get annoyed by the squeeks and rattles/lack of AC etc.. who cares..

Well exactly. My Corrado is one of the oldest cars in the car park, but I look out there amongst the swathes of Mondeo's, Mazda's, and new Mini's and think that I wouldn't want to swap my car for any of them.

Well - I might be tempted to swap for the Audi A6 4.2 V8 Quattro thats out there sometimes... mmm ;)

Yeah exactly mate. I drive my car for me, not anyone else.

It p*sses me off sometimes, but I love it and would never buy a modern car.

to clarify, 4 'comics' read magazines.........jesus.

Well exactly. My Corrado is one of the oldest cars in the car park, but I look out there amongst the swathes of Mondeo's, Mazda's, and new Mini's and think that I wouldn't want to swap my car for any of them.

Well - I might be tempted to swap for the Audi A6 4.2 V8 Quattro thats out there sometimes... mmm ;)

Oi! nothing wrong with the new mini!! :p