Sign in to follow this  
P2daz

Insurance farce

I've just taken out a new policy online, the insurers phoned me to clarify a few details, i admitted that i have a stainless steel exhaust (g-werks) and after a sharp intake of breath the broker stated that there may be a problem,he would phone and find out.I said if it was then i would change the exhaust.

He rang back and said they wouldn't insure me with the exhaust, and said,'we'll leave the policy as is, under the understanding that you remove the exhaust'

I got the feeling he new i would probably keep the exhaust as it was.

I am kicking myself for declaring it in the first place but i have declared a modified exhaust on bike policies with no problem so i thought i'd come clean with this - how wrong!

I wonder what problem i would have if i ever did need to claim?Thin Ice i would imagine?

Anyone else had problems of this nature or know of a Corrado friendly insurer?

Daz

I dont think youd have a leg to stand on.

Theres an insurance section, which im sure will help you.

If you want a fairly large / well known insurance company that don't seem too bad on mods you couldn't do too bad to try Churchill. I'm with them at the minute and they really didnt crucify me at all for exhaust / air filter / wheels / suspension..

Failing that Brentacre or HIC should give you a sensible quote! :)

yeah go somewhere else as i`m sure you can cancel the policy as they wont cover you, there plenty that will cover an exhaust, suspension, wheel etc with no hassle

Moving to Insurance!

No wonder i couldn't find my post :oops: , Sorry.

Thanks for the replies chaps, i am going to call around a few places at the weekend.

Daz

Trouble is, you can't get Corrado exhausts from just anywhere, so pretty much your only choice is dealer parts or stainless from Miltek/Magnex/Supersprint et al. It's a bit crap that they don't realise this. I suppose this is the fault of the chav brigade - the stainless exhaust is a "mod" to those guys. To Corrado owners it's just a "replacement" of what's already there.

Me? I bought a VW one ...

dr_mat, are you on about genuine VW exhausts? Because pretty much any tyre or exhaust fitters can get hold of pattern (Bosal) corrado exhausts that aren't classed as modified parts to insurers. The quality is supposedly not that great so they're probably a false economy but they're certainly not difficult to get hold of and are a lot cheaper than genuine parts.

I wonder what problem i would have if i ever did need to claim?Thin Ice i would imagine?

If you were at fault they wouldn't give you anything for your car (assuming it's fully comp), but would still pay out to the third party.

dr_mat, are you on about genuine VW exhausts? Because pretty much any tyre or exhaust fitters can get hold of pattern (Bosal) corrado exhausts that aren't classed as modified parts to insurers. The quality is supposedly not that great so they're probably a false economy but they're certainly not difficult to get hold of and are a lot cheaper than genuine parts.

I've seen parts for the 16V and 8V cars in the "generic" channels, but I've never seen exhausts for the VR or G60 on those books. I got a genuine VW exhaust from GSF for my VR. Sadly they've stopped stocking them now, but it was a bargain...

I have to say you're probably right they're a false economy (I remember the annual replacement of pattern exhausts on old cars..)..

Ahh, since I don't look out for VR parts I'd assumed they made them aswell. Strange that they don't though, always thought there were more VR's out there than valvers so they must be missing out on a fair chunk of the market