Sign in to follow this  
lottysvdub

not very happy

hi guys comming home from work today my car got showerd by a passing lorry with lots of small stone resulting in 3 chips and a crack around 2 inches long on the passenger side , my insurance company have said that they wont cover it due to the age of the car , so much for norich union direct wont be using them when i need to renew , any way has anyone got any idea how much a replacement screen is going to cost , im going to check all my local breakers in the morning and see if any of the national screen companys can help me out , im just a little concerend as to how much its going to cost fitting its not a problem its simply sorcing a good unit or a new one , any advise would be appreciated :cry: :cry: :( :) :D

thats not on mate, i`ve had my screen replaced for the xs on my policy before now, i`d start off checking your policy to see if there is any mention of age related payout regarding screens.

if theres not get straight back on the phone to the ins company or the insurance ombudsman

They won't cover it due to the "age of the car"?!?! wtf? Does it say that in the small print??! What won't they cover? The paint damage or the windscreen? If you have fully comp they will replace the screen anyway, regardless of the reason for the stone chip.

The paint damage, by the sound of it, would probably cost less than the excess to fix.

Don't get this one TBH, if you have comprehensive insurance, replacement windscreens are covered. Surely this was part of your policy when you took it out for the car ??

Unless there is a clause in your policy or thier terms and conditions saying they don't cover windscreens of cars over a certain age, then they have to replace it, if windscreen cover included as part of your policy. Sometimes subject to £70-£80 XS but still cheaper than forking out £220-£350 for a new screen fitted.

BH, I doubt you'll be able to get a new one supplied by itself (If so it will prob be expensive this way, as most place just supply and fit. Also I wouldn't really be wanting to get a secondhand one put into my car at all (wouldn't trust a secondhand windscreen at all), and trust me, much easier to get a professional to replace the screen, as it's a pig of a job to do.

Good luck and HTH

they wont cover it due to the age of the car

the policy states that before any claim for windscreen damage can be made the car glass had to be inspected at autoglass were they will approve the glass for cover upon they will inform the insurance company . Now norich union direct are now saying that this has never been carried out which is crap as ive got bit of paper that was issued by autoglass at the time of inspection saying all the glass was in good order , now the problem i have now is im not sure were the hell ive put the bloody thing , what the hell the age of the car has got to do with it i dont know , unfortunatly its only 3rd party fire and theft insurance as the cars a 3rd car that i own and dosnt always get used which is a real kick in the nuts as all week ive been using my mondeo , sorry guys yep i own one of those sorry im hanging my head in shame at the mo