Sign in to follow this  
Riley

G60 belt slip?

How do guys...

Had a bit of fun with a bike earlier today (on a private back road 8) ) He never got past me but the rado just hasn't felt too lively for a while now...

When i got home i just checked under the bonnet for any signs of problems and noticed a lot of dust on the underside of the bonnet above the charger pulley.

Im guessing my belts slipping at high rpm?

I run a jabbasport adjustable tensioner so just wondering if i should give it a tweak,but im not entirely sure how tight to go? :?

Neil. :)

You think so m8? is the dust a normal side effect of that?

There is a slightly noisy roller actually (one of the plastic ones) expensive from gsf? or better from the dealers?

Any more info/idea's appreciated.

Cheers,Neil. :)

You got that right steveo m8 :lol:

Ive regreased em a while ago but they have gone noisy again :(

Will have to wait on new ones by the looks of it.

Does the above pic look like thats my problem? or should i tweak the adjustable tensioner?

Cheers,Neil.

Ive regreased em a while ago but they have gone noisy again

I'd then definitely replace the plastic tensioner rollers. When I changed all the belts on my G60, I also tested the platic tensioner roller for the polyribbed belt, and they were still fine, no resistance, turned smoothly, no noises, but in your case you've got the symptonms of knackered rollers.

Tempest

Aye,they do need replacing really with being noisy...suppose it may be worth replacing the belt too?

Is that what the dust will be from? slipping?

Cheers m8.

Might be, but wouldn't go amiss replacing the belt anyway, given that it's had a higher resistance from the rollers anyway.

Tempest

Not sure really but I think you can replace the plastic with 8v cambelt tensioners - darren will know!

Sounds interesting! can anyone confirm?

flusted, that's what the toothed pulley kits use... Dunno if it'd work with the normal belt, but I can't see why not...

does the tensioner not kinda split a serp belt. a cam belt gets that groove up the middle but the teeth run across to hold strength. with the ribs running along doe it not cause an issue in the center of the middle rib.

my mate did use golf 16v ones on a subaru sport he supercharged for a customer. seemed to hold up fine.

am i missing the point here - why not just use the plastic rollers?

Plastic = weak

Metal = stronger

Would be a good upgrade

Ive got a toothed kit coming anyway :wink:

Cheers guys,ill go for new rollers and see if i still get the dust.

Gazza,whats the deal with the adjustable tensioner being crap? i think? it has the right length belt on there and it does tighten up but i dont know how tight it should be... :oops:

dont wanna knacker any bearings.

Neil.

erm the tooth belt sound lovley. but i wouldn;t reccomend them i've used them for a while and dont rate them. they gain you nothing. and can be unreliable. keep with the standard belt. they were designed ribbed for a reason.

erm the tooth belt sound lovley. but i wouldn;t reccomend them i've used them for a while and dont rate them. they gain you nothing. and can be unreliable. keep with the standard belt. they were designed ribbed for a reason.

is this right, ive only heard good things about the toothed pulley kit, thats why i was gonna invest in one.

well i dont like them . the belts can snap super easy. cos you cant use the spring tensioner. you have to you fixed ones. they are noisy. and dont give you ANY performance benifits. oh and cost a lot of money. . ask around who uses them.

From what i understand...

They must be used on a car that has good to perfect tolerances on the alternater/pullies as far as wear...

Im gonna wait till the kits are maybe tweaked a bit in the future before thinking about one.I do like the idea of them for eliminating slip at high rpm,the serpentine is a crap design from vw imo.

Interesting that my car showed improvement on low end, mid range AND top end bhp AND torque using toothed pulleys over standard pulleys on a rolling road, so there IS a performance gain to be had with them... :p And that was comparing a 68mm non-toothed pulley to a 69.1 toothed one...

Eliminating belt slip WILL provide gains in boost and therefore power throughout the rev range...

And, as for snapping belts, I've broken 3 since I fitted my kit almost 3 years ago. All 3 of those were within a week of each other after the standard tensioner I'd been using for 18months lost it's dampening fluid and so let the belt slacken and grab which is what was snapping them. The solid tensioner I now run solved that problem and has actually quietened down the whine from the belt substantially...

must say i never felt i had an issue with slip on the standard pulley type at 65mm as long as the belt was in good condition along with the tensioner spring being relatively stiff. recently the tensioner spring has become a bit worn and now it slips i think.

My toothed belt was on for about 3 months before the belt decided to part company with the car (on the south circular at 7PM one evening - fun). I'd even fitted the s**t shield from the VR6 on the underside of the belt to try and keep out stones. If it goes again really quickly I'll be going back to the old system.

I'm running a 68mm and haven't noticed much if any difference in boost pressure at the top end with it. Bottom line is, some people will love them and be happy with the possibilty of having them break regularly, for others the chance that they could let rip at any time is not enough of a draw...