Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

Ignition advance

Well, I managed to sort my G60 pinking last night. The solution - changing from BP Ultimate to Shell V (OPTIMAX) wotsit. What a difference!

At the mo, the distributor advance is set at 6 deg btdc and I was wondering how much I can safely advance it and what benefits I will get from it?

I plan to advance it in 1 deg steps until it starts pinking again and then knock it back slightly. Obviously, I'll need to knock it back even further when the weather warms up, unless I've fitted a bigger IC by then.

Any ideas?

Car is running 68 pulley & G-Werks chip

Thanks

Doesn't the G60 have knock sensors? So it can retard it's own ignition? In other words, if you have pinking at all they aren't working ... ?

Well, I managed to sort my G60 pinking last night. The solution - changing from BP Ultimate to Shell V (OPTIMAX) wotsit. What a difference!

At the mo, the distributor advance is set at 6 deg btdc and I was wondering how much I can safely advance it and what benefits I will get from it?

I plan to advance it in 1 deg steps until it starts pinking again and then knock it back slightly. Obviously, I'll need to knock it back even further when the weather warms up, unless I've fitted a bigger IC by then.

Any ideas?

Car is running 68 pulley & G-Werks chip

Thanks

shouldn't the knock sensors prevent it from pinking in the first place?

Excuse my naivety here.

I understood that the timing retard due to knock sensing was quite abrupt resulting in far less less ignition advance than you started with and possibly less than you would have if you, say, started with less static advance in the first place.

Does this make sense?

Would love to find out how the ingition retard works and how quicly it advances once the knock dissapears.

Excuse my naivety here.

I understood that the timing retard due to knock sensing was quite abrupt resulting in far less less ignition advance than you started with and possibly less than you would have if you, say, started with less static advance in the first place.

Does this make sense?

Would love to find out how the ingition retard works and how quicly it advances once the knock dissapears.

yep sounds right, but the knock sensors are very sensitive and will detect knock far earlier than you will be able to detect audibly, problem is they must be torqued to the head correctly and people tend to over tighten them.

This is true, but you shouldn't be getting any knock at all.

I think there's a procedure for setting the timing on the G60, and it involves bypassing the knock sensor, setting the engine up to produce no knock, then reconnecting the knock sensor to protect from crappy fuels.

I had the idea that the knock sensor detects the first pinking for the cylinder afected and then starts to retard iginition timing till the pinking disapears...

Of course that this process is done very quickly.

By my experience, i couldn´t go further than 8 deg. unless run 100ron fuel.

This depends on each engine, because each one is different than the other one.

These are the safe ignition timing values that i found for G60´s without any pinking:

- 6deg for 95ron

- 7deg for 98ron

- 8deg for 100ron

Keep in mind that atmosferic temperatures make a lot of difference!