Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

Winter car, Audi Coupe vs mk3 Golf GTI or what else ???

Hi dudes

some of you may be able to help me out a little, im after a winter car to run about in as both my M3 and Corrado will be put away in my garage for the winter in the next few weeks, i live on a farm and it gets really muddy up here when its wet and i get sick of trying to keep my motors clean its enough of a battle trying to keep the salt off from the roads never mind the mud i also have to contend with so i always just put them away about this time of year.

My vito van is my daily driver but ive piled a load of miles on it recently, 40k in 13 months ! and it cost too much money and is far too nice to run into the ground. i was going to try and use it only when i need it and not use it as a car and rn about in it empty because it never does any more than 20mpg no matter how i drive it so it costs a fortune to use every day.

Im after something i can use to run about in doin work stuff picking parts, paint etc up during the day, then use it for the gym, nights out on a night etc. i'd like it to be pretty reliable, tidy looking and german. ive found two cars, one is a 97P plate Golf GTI 2.0 8v its done 94k with history etc its nice inside but has a few scratches dents and stuff on the outside but looks tidy enough it even has a bit of tax on it, it does drive okay, though not perfect and if i do a tiny bit paint on it it should return a profit @ the end of the winter.

The other is an Audi Coupe 2.0 16v its a 93 L plate with 96k on the clock, it has Full audi history which is a bonus, (or forged !!) its really straight, the inside is mint but the red paint has oxidised to pink quite badly which i can sort out easily enough, it drives perfectly and needs zero work but has no tax on it.

Both cars are the same money, but i wondered what you think would be the better car, im swaying towards the audi, it has the bigger boot to get more work gear in, it only really wants machine polishing & taxing then its ready to roll. or am i wrong and should i buy the golf because its newer ?????????????

Anyone who has had either what sort of mpg would either of them return ?????????

Anyone have any other suggestions ????????????????????

Cheers jimmi...................................

I'd go for the Audi tbh... service history is the bit that I'm sold on and the fact the Golf could be running better!

if it's only for the winter you could just get 6 months tax and see what you want to do come next March/April 8)

Can't you use the Range Rover for winter?! I would, especially if living on a remote farm.

Of the two you've picked, Golf for me. Utterly boring car, but I've always found standard Golfs are good (compared to other front drivers) in snow and ICE and they go on forever with minimal maintenance.

Kev Haywire wrote

Can't you use the Range Rover for winter?! I would, especially if living on a remote farm.

The Strange Rover (picture below) definatly isnt a daily driver, its a 3.9 V8 with straight thru pipes, hideously noisy tyres & 5" suspension lift. Its "interesting" to drive on the roads as it wanders about like nothing ive ever driven before !! But i keep it taxed so i can use it when i fancy terrorising people, it is unbelievably capable off road and ive had some good days out in it. peoples faces are a picture when its cruising around the streets covered in mud !!! Oh and as you can imagine its not that hot on juice, the worst mpg was £120-00 in one day, i only covered 180 miles, (140 cruisin @ 45-50mph rest off road) !!!!

I built it up myself from a standard green RR Vogue last winter, they are horrible, horrible things to work on and i dread anything goin wrong with it because i dont want to use whitworth sockets ever again !!!!

Still undecided on which car too buy, been usin the M3 today and i dont really want to have to put it away for the winter, i wish i lived in the states or somewhere !!!!

Jimmi..................................