Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Mk4 Head gasket for VR6

This is worrying me a bit now! I think Im still going to go with the metal gasket though. My head has had a full rebuild and skimmed so fingers crossed!

I can't make my mind up yet which way to go with it, I'm sure enough people have fitted the metal one by now to prove it's OK, I've just screwed up somewhere! I'll see what I find when I get it to bits again. It's a shame really as I'd got all the top end rebuilt and climate control installed while I was not busy with work and now I'm tied up in Kent for the next few days then off to Germany next week. Glad I never promissed my wife when she'd be getting her Corrado back :D

Let me know how you get on ? Its going to be another couple of weeks before I get my head back on. Can I ask a silly question , did you use new head bolts? Another thing, when you took the head off, how many spring dowels did you find on the block/head? Mine only had one and Im sure you would benefit more with two to align the head, no ? Im just wondering if theres a possibility it could have fallen into the block or something !!

Someone please put my mind at rest on this one!

This is worrying me a bit now! I think Im still going to go with the metal gasket though. My head has had a full rebuild and skimmed so fingers crossed!

I can't make my mind up yet which way to go with it, I'm sure enough people have fitted the metal one by now to prove it's OK, I've just screwed up somewhere! I'll see what I find when I get it to bits again. It's a shame really as I'd got all the top end rebuilt and climate control installed while I was not busy with work and now I'm tied up in Kent for the next few days then off to Germany next week. Glad I never promissed my wife when she'd be getting her Corrado back :D

Let me know how you get on ? Its going to be another couple of weeks before I get my head back on. Can I ask a silly question , did you use new head bolts? Another thing, when you took the head off, how many spring dowels did you find on the block/head? Mine only had one and Im sure you would benefit more with two to align the head, no ? Im just wondering if theres a possibility it could have fallen into the block or something !!

Someone please put my mind at rest on this one!

I used a new set of head bolts and will again next time! Also, there were two dowels although when I first oulled the head off they were both sunk into it, I had to get them out and fit them into the block to align the gasket when I rebuilt it.

You might beat me on the rebuild as I'm busy with work for a while now :x

Hi guys, I'm in the same position as you two too! Just had my eyes pulled out for the metal one from VW so don't want to make an arse of putting it back on. I got some of my bits from an ebay seller for a full head gasket kit, basically have a spare normal gasket lying around now but all the gaskets inc bolts was 67 quid. Not too shabby really. The set also came with a pack of 12 somethings that I haven't the foggiest what you do with. Any ideas, they're about 1cm across, are brown plastic type plugs with a hole through and a step towards the back, they're wrapped in a shorter brass looking collar and have a tiny wound spring type washer/retainer affair at the protruding plastic end. Will try to attach a pic but never had luck with pics before so here goes.....

chigmuss The 12 somethings are the valve stem oil seals. They fit over the top of the valve guides before refitting the valves and springs.

I've still not decided which new gasket to use next time although I guess it'll be another steel one, I like the idea of a bit more compression for free! I'll be pulling it to bits next week and will make the call then, I just keep firing it up every now and then to check it still leaks, it does :lol:

tonedef,have you been using VW bolts ? I was going to use GSF bolts and tappets, but genuine exhaust gaskets and stem seals. Do you think I would be alright with GSF ex gaskets, does anyone know what the quality is like?

VRTrickster My bolts, cam followers, chains and guides came from vwspares.co.uk. All my gaskets are from VAG although I'm sure that for such as the exhaust etc GSF ones would be fine, possibly even the same ones without VAG price tag?

And buying a VAG head gasket hasn't been any great benefit to me as it's coming to bits again tomorrow isn't it!

Yeah thats a bummer, sorry. Better luck next time mate :)

What make are the followers, are they INA ?

The followers are Febi/Bilstein same as all the mechanical bits.

I don't understand why it didn't seal, everything was done to the letter, just that once it was back together and running I noticed tiny bubbles at the end of the block by number 1 cylinder. I ran it the other day to show my dad and it seemed OK, in the end I had to spray some WD40 on the join to find them. It's just the smallest of gas leaks, you'd probably run the car forever and not know but while it's on axle stands in the garage I might as well get it right. :D

At least the rattles from the cam chains have gone now, the followers were probably OK before, I only changed them cos it was in bits. I checked all the valves for play in the guides and they were fine. I fitted a new clutch too but the old one looked identical to it even after 115K miles. I guess that's the benefit of having a car so long, I bought it over 6 years ago with just 50K on it so I know most of the history!