Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

X-relief/load reduction relay.

This is another recurring problem which is driving me mad.

The operation of the load reduction relay is unreliable. This manifests itself as follows. Occasionally, and usually in warm weather (!!??), the load relief relay fails to re-connect the ancilliary circuits which it cuts out during cranking/starting. This leaves me without headlights, wipers, washers, heater blower etc. I can get them back if I switch on the headlights and operate the headlight flasher together.

I have changed the load relief relay several times but achieve only a temporary cure; then it's back to random operation and the pantomime of flashing the headlights.

My next port of call is to change the ignition switch on the basis that this is the source of power which actuates the solenoid side of the relay, and is a notorious weakness. For the sake of a few extra pounds I will be using a genuine VAG part.

All comments, suggestions etc. gratefully received.

Best wishes

RB

Sounds like a good idea, don't know if you have changed one before but there is a little screw that holds the ignition switch in once its unplugged and the cover is removed, it can be a right pig to get at!! But a little time (upside down) and an even littler screw driver and you can get the bugger out!

Good luck

Dan

Gutted! :-( but on the bright side it almost certainly now has to be the fuse box connections that the relay sits in!

let us know when you find the problem Roger.

Dan

could also be something as simple as a dodgy connection on the back of the fuse box.... I've found a couple of multiplugs just staying in place due to the wiring holding them in roughly the correct place before now on some VWs which caused all sorts of intermittent problems... make sure all the plugs are firmly inserted into the back of the box... ;)

yup... undertrays out, steering to highest adjustment (just makes life a little easier!) then undo the 2 screws either side of the fuse box and it kinda tilts forwards on a pivot and lifts up and out...