Sign in to follow this  
cmoth

Strange noise from steering

Hi

I have a bog standard VR6 which I have owned for a couple of months now. When parking, there is a strange rubbing noise coming from the steering which is only there when the steering is turned. Its not noticable once on the move but its there whenever I park. Is is likely to be the power steering, CV joints or what?

Any ideas will be greatly received.

Thanks

Col

sometimes my valver makes a squeak on full lock. used to be permanent until I changed the power steering pump, but without hearing it it's difficult to tell. could be cv joints

good luck

Dic

Cheers Dic but its definately not a squeeling noise. Its a rubbing noise so dont think its power steering related. Maybe steering column?

Anybody else?

unlikely to be steering column, unless something has moved and rubbing against it. 2 mins to check, possibly poorly fitted shelf might do it if it's inside

how loud is it. is it in or out of the car. if its in have a look at the horn contactor. look in the gap between the wheel and the ignition cowling and put a bit of grease in. mine used to make a really annoying noise at slow speed. didn't notice it that much at higher speeds.

The power steering is under an immense amount of pressure when you're turning the wheel and the car is standing still. At least try it on a slippery surface before you decide there's something wrong ..

Im sure its outside and its only when im parking that its noticeable. Would just like to know what it could be so I can decide whether its worth getting it sorted or not.

Does it do it only while actually turning the wheel, or does it continue while you hold the wheel at or near full lock. If the latter, then it is probably the PAS hydraulics (pump, fluid, rack). Is the reservoir full with green (not red) fluid?

Best wishes

RB