Sign in to follow this  
tug

VAG-COM results

Had my VR scanned on VAG-COM last night (big thanks to aclwalker for that!), and it showed the following error:

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation

08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent

The car occasionally cuts out when stopping at junctions and the exhaust pops quite badly on the overrun.

Does this sound like a faulty lambda probe? VAG-COM did pick up a reading, so the probe isn't completely dead, but the readings were fluctuating outside of the permitted range.

I had a search about and it was also suggested to check for intake & exhaust leaks and to make sure the MAF is working. I'm pretty sure there aren't any leaks, but the MAF is an unknown quantity at the best of times!

Any help greatly appreciated before I spend money unnecessarily!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Firstly - my knowledge about these things shouldn't be taken as gospel, but...

I think if the lambda is dead, you get -1 as the reading and it doesn't fluctuate, so it sounds like it is working (good cos they're expensive!).

If the probe is working out of the limits, then it does sound like it's probably either an exhaust manifold leak somewhere or the MAF is lying. As the MAF hasn't come up as being out of spec on VAG-COM, then I'd start looking at the exhaust. Someone might have more info on what the MAF readings are supposed to say tho.

Either way, an exhaust leak or dodgy MAF readings do seem likely - these 2 work together when you're on small throttle openings to regulate the air/fuel mixture, so would explain your stalls and overrun pops.

I've been getting this same code for 2 years. The Bently says leaky injectors. I just think the ECU is farting rich. Its given me no problems though. My gas mileage and idle are not affected.

I've changed two o2 sensors...this second one was done last week. I still get that code. I've also scanned 4 other Corrados and they too have this code. Their cars run fine.

Does your car get poor fuel economy? A bad o2 will cause the run horribly rich. Also check the wires and connectors to the o2. These cars are old and there is alot of heat where the o2 is. The wires and connectors will get brittle over time. I had to replace the conector that connects to my o2.

See if you can find a used one that is good and swap it out...that may be your only way of finding out. If it is bad...you should notice immediately after start up.

Unplug the MAF. The lambda should still fluctuate between 0.8 and 1.2 at idle. If it's outside these values you either have a significant air leak or a faulty lambda.

-- edit, true it can be faulty injectors too (i.e. the ECU can't control the fuelling properly). and therefore it can also be a faulty ECU .. I suppose it could even be a fuel supply problem. If the fuel pressure is low, you're not going to get sufficient fuel charge per injector opening ..

Does your car get poor fuel economy? A bad o2 will cause the run horribly rich. Also check the wires and connectors to the o2. These cars are old and there is alot of heat where the o2 is. The wires and connectors will get brittle over time. I had to replace the conector that connects to my o2.

See if you can find a used one that is good and swap it out...that may be your only way of finding out. If it is bad...you should notice immediately after start up.

Fuel economy seems pretty good, average about 30mpg normally, and I've seen 35mpg on a long run! I'll check the wiring and connectors and see what state they're in.

Unplug the MAF. The lambda should still fluctuate between 0.8 and 1.2 at idle. If it's outside these values you either have a significant air leak or a faulty lambda.

-- edit, true it can be faulty injectors too (i.e. the ECU can't control the fuelling properly). and therefore it can also be a faulty ECU .. I suppose it could even be a fuel supply problem. If the fuel pressure is low, you're not going to get sufficient fuel charge per injector opening ..

I've just had the ECU repaired, so I can take that out of the equation. That leaves the MAF, injectors or an exhaust leak...should keep me busy!

Thanks guys.