Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

What the?.....VW Benz camper?

what a strange looking thing! It looks so "both" you cant say it looks mroe VW or Merc! Where did you see it?

The L200 series (based on the Hanomag-Henschel company F35 series) van was introduced by Mercedes-Benz in 1965. It had either a 1.6L 42BHP Austin carb'd engine or a 2L 50BHP Daimler-Benz engine. 1972 saw the arrival of a more powerful 2.2L 60BHP diesel engine. Very old design of van though, based on a 1949 Tempo-Matador 4WD delivery van (DID have a VW engine though and was predecessor to the Hanomag Matador E (F35 series) which preceeded the L400/L200 series). The actual van design was all Merc, though the engineers obviously used similar styling cues, at the rear-end at least, to the rear of the VW Type 2 vans.

Reason I know a bit about these is my parents used to own one, a L208D ! Then they progressed to the Merc TN series 207D, the T1 series 208D, then laterly the T1 N (first early "Sprinter" type) 211D, which they still run today. All the vans they had were converted by my dad into motorhomes by himself. Believe it or not the L200 series are a rare sight in the UK, but they were very popular on the continent, esp in France and Germany, where you can still see some on the road today as bread-vans, general work-horse vans etc ! Good spot of that one above, I think their ace !

Cheers

:lol: saw one of these on the road after vanfest. Hence me saying "Hey BAY!" as we got closer my girlfriend corrected me that it wasnt a bay :oops: She didnt know WHAT it was though.

The back looks like a bay and the front is just plain ugly!