Sign in to follow this  
blue95

2.0 16v Replacing Both Fuel Pumps..............

2.0 16v Replacing Both Fuel Pumps, is it poss to use just one uprated pump?

Has anyone done this?

what pump do you use and how much does it cost?

No, the system needs 5 bar and the only HP in tank pump runs at 4 bar. Why would you want to do this anyway? If it could be done, the bean counters at VW would have done it.

A few reasons, first being cost of replacing both.

How come the valver needs so much pressure for the fuel system?

I read a few posts before posting, It seems not all corrados had 2 pumps e.g. early G60, not sure about VR6.

The intank lift pump is only about £20.

The 16V uses a mechanical injection system hence the high pressure and braided lines.

Late G60's, VR's and 8v's use the single pump.

Early G60's had two pumps but all post 90my electronic injection models had one in tank pump but as Supercharged says, the K-Jet models need them both. We can't undo VW's engineering with wishful penny pinching, if VW decried that the system needed two pumps you can be sure they didn't do it lightly as their accountants are far more critical and nit picking than any of us.

Possible, but the G60 used a fuel pump run on system to circulate cooling fuel into the rail. It may be that it was difficult to provide a 5 bar suitable coupling on the sender top unit down to the accumulator, who knows what the reason was-it would be interesting to find out. I remember getting into a heavy discussion in Autocar mag a few years back about whether the Beetle ever had a folding rear seat and just as it got acrimonious, a chap who was on the design team in the early 60's jumped in to back me up in saying it dis have a folding rear seat. I suppose the German forums get some people going on them who are/were involved in design at Wolfsburg, a shame we don't.

Thanks for your replies, some food for thought!!

Sorry I am being hush hush about my mods, just not sure they are going to go ahead (due to time, money and baby!)

Basically I wanted to turbo my valver or get 20v turbo lump, do 20v turbo cars have lift pump and under car pump as well?

Cheers

Get a VR6 tank and pump as the Corrado VR6 always used a 4 bar in tank pump and that will be perfect for what you need. Just make sure some Nelly hasn't fitted a late Golf VR6 3 bar pump as that is quite common.