Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Probable causes of over-fuelling - G60

Very tempted by a 1991 G60 with 75k on the clock thats had a very interesting life. Seller is very honest about the car and its main fault appears to be the fact that its over-fuelling. Before I make a final decision I'd welcome any thoughts on what the problem could be and more importantly - how much it could cost to rectify

You might have hit on something there - apparently the timing was checked and a chip fitted a few months ago by Jabba

Lambdasensor is usually easy to diagnose. if things improve with the sensor disconnected, then, it's the Lambdasensor :-)

Having said that, if it's really knackered (constantly passing a low voltage to the ECU signalling a lean mixture, which, of course isn't there) then the ECU will enrichen the mixture no-end up to the point where the engine will just not idel anymore, needs revs of above 2000 rpm before it drives, apart from black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Happened to me a few months after I had bought my C.

Tempest

also could be the CO pot.... mine failed completely on H-YYU and meant that she was flooding with fuel while trying to start her... swapped it for a spare one and Voila! fixed... 8)

Normal causes of G60 overfuelling are:

Blue temp sensor

Lambda sensor

CO pot

Incorrect timing

Dodgy map (unlikely if it's just started to do it, or if it's been fine before)

Low power from battery/alternator (caused limp home rich map to kick in on ECU)

Knackered/leaky injectors

Knock sensor (unlikely, but can affect fuelling by messing up timing)

Faulty FPR (again, unlikely, but it can happen)

Think that's about the complete list anyway... 8)

Thanks guys - unfortunately the car has been sold now so it isn't my problem to be concerned about - shame as I fancied a LHD G60 thats lived in Japan, UAE and California and had air-con

LHD G60 thats lived in Japan, UAE and California and had air-con

Oh, sounds even more travelled than mine, which has only seen the US (Maryland), Germany, Scotland :lol: and the West Midlands.

Shame though that it's been sold already ...

Tempest

I bought that said car :wink:

It turns out the lambda sensor is dead :roll:

And its not overfuelling that bad with it knackered either, i still get approx 25mpg.

I do intend to ditch the Jabba chip in favour of an SNS though, the Lambda has been ordered.