Sign in to follow this  
pauliegannon

Intermitent light problem getting worse

Back driving in the dark mornings and nights and having a small problem with my lights.The lights are working perfect but when I switch the ignition off and park the car up, the passanger side front and back lights come on and off every 30 seconds or so for about 5 minutes and then everything is fine.The bad thing about this is that I thought I smelt rubber or cable burning this morning coming into work,hoping its not the loom.I checked the loom yesterday and it seemed fine but getting worried now.What do you think I should start with trying to find the fault.Thanks,Paul.

Sounds like a parking light problem...possibly worth whipping the steering wheel off and using some contact cleaner on the indicater stalk?

Neil. :)

Bit more info please, do you have an uprated headlight loom? Is it an early or later interior (different light switch)

Are you switching the ignition off with the steering wheel centered and the indicators cancelled?

But I would agree with Neil though :D

Is the parking light switch not included in the main switch for the lights or is it completly seperate?I never had a parking light switch on the car before.What makes the parking light come on or do you have to put it on yourself.Is it easy to remove the steering wheel?

Sorry lads.Its a 91 so it has early interior and light switch.When I turn the car off the steering wheel is usually centered and the indicators off,not being rude but why do you ask this?does this make the parking light go on or is it vice a versa.I will take a look at it tomorrow when it is bright.Great help as usual thanks,Paul

To set the parking light (not 100% sure but instructions for this should be in the handbook) you leave the indicator on when you switch off the engine hence why I asked.

The other reason for asking about the headlight switches is that fail with age and as you have an early one it will be a lot cheaper than a new one - although this does seem to be an issue with the contacts on the indicator ring ring stalk.

Checked terminals but dosnt seem to be the problem.When the fan to cool down the engine comes on thats when the light comes on even when driving.If I disconnect the fan the light does not come on so this must be the problem.Checked the whole loom in the engine bay and cant see a probem,no loose wire or touching wires.Worried its in the dash.