Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Which front brake pads for road use??

Since converting my front brakes from 256mm to 280mm I have regretted my choice of brake pads.

I noticed very little improvement over the original set up.

I used Zimmerman drilled G60 discs and Pagid FR pads. The pads are about worn out so I am now faced with deciding which ones to go for.

My car only gets road use, no track days, but I do drive it pretty hard when conditions allow. What I would like is more initial bite and good fade resistance.

I've narrowed my choice down to three options:

1. Ferodo DS.

2. Ferodo standard pads from Halfords.

3. Mintex M1144.

Definately the Ferodo DS of those three, the Mintex M1144 are good but lose effectiveness over 400deg and aren't as good for prolonged hard driving, the standard Ferodo ones from Halfords are a good replacement for OEM but aren't really suited to hard driving.

The DS2500 on mine are fantastic pads but as with most FR/racing pads the very first stop you do when cold is crap, and they're a bit noisy.

I've got the same thread on Club GTI, with a pole. Similar comments really, Mintex are ok, but not much better than std, Ferodo DS are great, and Black Diamonds are good. Pretty tempted to go the DS route.

Someone also suggested Pagid RS, anyone tried them?