Sign in to follow this  
Jaystar77

Supercharger question

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and still finding my way around. It seems like a goldmine of information - just what I was looking for!

Would like to bounce a question on superchargers off someone. It seems the supercharger is due an overhaul at around 40-60,000 miles or else it can breakdown. I was looking at a 1992 G60 with 92,000 miles on the clock but no mention or record of a supercharger rebuild. Is it possible that the charger has made it to 92k without maintenance or do you think it's bound to have had the work done at some stage?

I've never dealt with a supercharged car before, but on the testdrive there was no running problems and she seemed to pull well from low revs. Did notice slight white smoke but the car had been sitting for a while and this cleared after it heated up.

The seller is going to find out how long the MOT runs to and get back to me, but I'm not sure if I can afford the £500+ overhaul that it might need.

Otherwise the car looks in good condition and I have to admit the lift with a supercharger is quite addictive!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jay

if you buy the car get the rebuild off the price or get him to service the charger by G-werks or Jabba sport then you can see the report on the chargers condition before you buy!!

i would be happy to give your charger a FREE health check should you require... but with this milage i would recomend you looking around for a rebuild.

My G60 had done 79k when I bought it and the charger was on "it's last legs". It had already sucked a couple of seals through and spat them out the other side... :(

I bought my G60 with 74,000 miles on the clock and it didnt have a supercharger rebuild and ran fine...nevr had any probs at all but i got it done abt 79,000 anyways jus in case...simply jus for peace of mind...thanks to darren (G-werks) and john

Had to let it go, the guy just wasn't dropping anything off it. Pity as that's the first time I've experienced a supercharger. :shock: Will just keep my eyes open for another Corrado. Thank you to all for the words of wisdom, gratefully received.

Now I just have to wait for my Starlet GTT to come back from the bodyshop... :cry:

Thanks

Jay

Hello all,

All this tak of superchargers is scaring me. My C has 100000+ miles on it and no idea about supercharger rebuilds. Where in the north East can i get it checked out?

I don't know of anyone doing them in the North East mate. I'd just take it off and send it to Gwerks. As a minimum you want to change the timing belt on it. That'll be close to its last legs by now and at less than a tenner, cheap insurance if you need to save up to have the whole job done.

Gavin

I don't know of anyone doing them in the North East mate. I'd just take it off and send it to Gwerks. As a minimum you want to change the timing belt on it. That'll be close to its last legs by now and at less than a tenner, cheap insurance if you need to save up to have the whole job done.

Gavin

gavin ! how right you are as normal... everyone should be changing these belts.. we do them every 10k not cos the need it but as they are cheap and it give great peice of mind !! i can supply these for £8.50 + 50p postage ..

another preview pic of my nearly finished website... :lol:

*mod edit, pic resized as requested - Henny *

My old one had 100k miles and it was fine but I would get it rebuilt. I tried this with the guy who sold me the car but he said that seeing as VW dont recommend it in thier handbook etc then it is not necessary.

Thanks for your help guys.

Is it easy to fit these yourself, or should i get someone else to do it? (considering i am totally engine illiterate!haha). Also what is this about G-werks/Jabba sports. Who are they, and how do i get them to service my charger?

Thanks

Amrik

Vw, hah, what do they know about G-laders?

Too true, VW thought these things were maintenance-free :lol: Then again, as they bought them in from a 3rd party company (forgot their name at the mo').

Also what is this about G-werks/Jabba sports

They're folks that will service your G-Lader, as VW won't be able to do it.

i can supply these for £8.50 + 50p postage .

What brand are they?

Cheers,

Tempest

Oh, just spotted your other question, Amrik :D:

Is it easy to fit these yourself, or should i get someone else to do it?

Although I've never done it myself yet, there are 2 good sites (although in German :? ) with piccies and detailed descriptions that have helped many a German Rado-fan already get their G-Lader out:

http://www.gti-g60.de/gladerausbau.htm

http://isnet-ev.de/privat/corrado/arbeitsschritt_g.htm

Tempest[/url]

Vw, hah, what do they know about G-laders???????????????????????????????????? :?: :mrgreen:

A lot more than Jabba.....

Oohhh, Harsh.... Fair but harsh! :wink: :lol:

Seriously though n8047035, have a look at those instructions and see what you think about taking the charger off... If not a reasonable garage should be able to take it off for you for about an hours labour... I'd highly reccommend sending the charger to Darren (G-werks) for a check over just for your peace of mind... I just did and the mess he found inside the charger was quite scarey when you consider that it had been rebuilt less than 12K and 9 months (of use) earlier by a different (won't name 'em, but you know who I mean! :wink: ) company... :shock:

Vw, hah, what do they know about G-laders???????????????????????????????????? :?: :mrgreen:

A lot more than Jabba.....

I agree - Jabba are s**t

Have a search around the forum - plenty of bad experiences, including my own.

Oh, I don't know... I got my G60 back from Jabba this morning, looks alot different than before.... have to see what its like when back on the car!