Sign in to follow this  
DEBBIE JO

CORRADO 16V

Hellluuupp!!!!!

My 16V has developed an idle problem.

It always starts and runs like a dream but once the engin is turned off it will not idle at all if started again before the engin has cooled. Therefore you need to let the car stand for a least an hour before you can drive it again.

I am thinking of replacing the ISV but would love someone to let me know if this is likely to fix the problem. Not being exactly flush I would hate to go to the expense to find I still have the same problem.

Can anyone help, please.

Debbie Jo

Hellluuupp!!!!!

My 16V has developed an idle problem.

It always starts and runs like a dream but once the engin is turned off it will not idle at all if started again before the engin has cooled. Therefore you need to let the car stand for a least an hour before you can drive it again.

I am thinking of replacing the ISV but would love someone to let me know if this is likely to fix the problem. Not being exactly flush I would hate to go to the expense to find I still have the same problem.

Can anyone help, please.

Debbie Jo

you need to check and clean the ISV and check the thermo-time switch.

The ISV can be cleaned out with petrol or carburettor cleaner quite well, but occasionally they are beyond it and carry on sticking, try unpluggging and re-plugging the ISV with the engine running and see if it has the same issue with idle.

Get yourself a copy of the haynes passat manual 1988-91 (dark pink one) from e-bay for a couple of quid and it will tell you where the thermo-timeswitch is and how to check it's giving the correct resistance at the correct temperature.

All you need is a cheap multimeter from maplins.

Oh, and hello and welcome! :)

David.

mine has been doing somthing simuler to yours , ive disconected the cold start injector on the injector rail and it seems to be ok at the mo , i know its not a cure for the problem but it may help with the starting . aon hello and welcome as well :D