Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Am I missing something????

Ever since I've had my C I've though that there should be something running along the top of the front of the dash, just where it comes really close to the windscreen. There are even what look like mounting holes for something (see picture). Should there be something here, or is it destined to be just a barren void??...

Cheers guys, but it is strange, does look as though it was made for something :?

It's strange but ETKA lists a part 535 857 270 called 'covering' which looks as though it should sit over that part of the dash.. Mmm, will dig deeper and see if my local dealer can shed any light (yeah, right).

If I manage to find anything, I'll post in on here first.... Although 'useful information' and 'local dealer' have tended not to be terms I use in the same sentence.

Interesting one that - would love to see what this so called 'covering' is! :)

The holes are all the way along the front of the dash, and the 'covering' in ETKA also seems to go all the way alog the dash (curiouser and curiouser).

think its where the air comes out when you put the heaters on the window

Tested it earlier - on mine the air comes out of the vents just behind that rather than those holes.

Talked with dealer about this, and it looks as though it is something that was sold in Germany, but never here in the UK (makes me think it's specifically designed for a LHD drive dash). Put in an order for one anyway, and should be here in a few days. Will report back on what it is (if it's anything interesting, anyway)

The part finally arrived, and it was a bit of a let down really. There was I expecting a nice, shiny, solid cover, and all it was was something that looked like it belonged under the bonnet.

The part number is what is should be from ETKA, so ho hum

looks more like the bit of rubber between the scuttle cover and engine bay,so the "wrong" side of the windscreen to the bit you were after?????

is it in in the middle of the dash? if so its a covering which looks like a smaller speaker cover.

^

What he said. Mine's got that. Small perforated rectangular thing. Looks exactly like a speaker grille.

Or have yours got that as well as these holes?

Yeah, I got the distinct impression that what I was sent by VW should have lived under the bonnet rather than along the dash. The mystery cover appears on ETKA and goes all the way along from one end of the dash to the other (i.e. not the centre grill). After talking with VW they said "yep, this 'cover' was only on German, not UK cars". The mystery deepens...

Here's the image from ETKA (along with a blow up of the piece in question). It does look to me as though it should go along the top of the dash. Thought I was going mad - maybe it goes underneath the dash :?

that long rubber strip actually sits just in front of the dash and it rests against the windscreen as a sort of dust seal, mine has one on it anyway.

Ah ha, looks like the identity of the 'covering' has been discovered. Cheers coolrado... Looked as though it should be a seal of some sort. Not really a covering though (damn ETKA descriptions....). Strange that my local VW garage said it was not present on UK cars.