Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Vr6 blue temp. sender- VAG or GSF?

Need to replace this - are the VAG ones better or just the same as the ones from GSF? any differences in longevity?

GSF seem to list the same sensor part number for the mk2 8V GTi, G60 & the VR6, is this right?

When I've been to GSF in the past for blue temp sensor they never seem 100% if its the right one for your engine, they just say 'oh well it looks the same as your old one so it must be right' !?

hmmm....

cheers for any help

I have had three blue senders from various suppliers, all have given inaccurate readings - OE ones are more expensive but whats the point of having a temp guage if its not accurate

I have had three blue senders from various suppliers, all have given inaccurate readings - OE ones are more expensive but whats the point of having a temp guage if its not accurate

Blue sender talks to ECU for fuelling/timing, shouldn't your temp gauge be running off a black temp sender? they are definately different.

Did the blue senders all look different or could they of been made by the same company?

Flusted, have you got problems with your GSF one?

Cheers lads

Rapidly learning that VAG is the only way.. unless the cost is so astronomical that its more financially viable to buy the cheaper one a few times over!

get a part number and post it up and then il get 1

Just came on to do the very thing....

1995 VR6 blue temp sensor is 906 041 A, and costs £9.68 + VAT (I was expecting a lot more!)

O-Ring seal to go with it is 903 168 02 , £0.87 + VAT. Altogether they come to £12.40 inc. VAT, not bad.

When I pick it up tomorrow, I'll see if it looks any different to the GSF ones.

Right,the VAG blue temp sender has the VAG stamp & number on the metal part and marked 'ELFA' (I think) & 'Made in Luxemburg' on the plastic case.

Replacing it has definately improved running from cold, before it was gutless for first five mins, I was having to slip the clutch to get going!

The GSF sensors have no markings. While fitting the blue sensor I also fitted a new 4-pin yellow temp sensor (from GSF), now the rad fan isn't working after switching the engine off, and the temp gauge is reading alot higher than it used to do. Maybe the new sensor is duff, or maybe the GSF ones are not right for the VR6, will post more info when I get to the bottom of it.

Blue - ECU fuelling

Black - Rad 120 degree trigger (Speed 3)

Yellow - Dash guage

Speeds 1 and 2 are controlled by the radiator sender.

I can't remember what the other outputs in the yellow sender control!

I think the yellow sensor controls fan run-on also, as this isn't working with the GSF sensor, but the aux. water pump is working with ignition on.

Found that fan is working on second speed at 110°, thats assuming the gauge is reading right on the yellow GSF sensor! Changing the rad sender this weekend.

btw, changing the blue temp sensor has definately cured my cold running problems, it was gutless for the first five minutes on the old sensor and was having to slip the clutch going into second, its spot on now from cold.

Removed the GSF 4-pin yellow temp sensor today and replaced it with a brand new VAG one (now black with blue ring and green dot)

Everything is now working as it should (fan run-on etc.) and the temperature gauge is now reading right, as the 1st speed fan is coming on at 95° (on GSF sensor it was reading a worrying 110° before it kicked in on 1st speed!)

So I can confirm that the GSF 4-pin yellow sensor (identified by being black with a yellow plastic ring) is not right for the VR6, and it makes the temp gauge read 15-20° too high! I suspected this as the water temp was reading alot higher than the oil temp at all temperatures.

Part no. for yellow sender on my receipt is 701 919 369 D.

I think it was ordered off etka under a different number(the old number?), but they are the same thing. Price was £22.37 including VAT, a bit pricey compared to the blue sensor!