Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Cortina Mk 1 estate. 1966 pic.

Looking north from Craigowl (455 metres), Dundee, towards the Grampians. December 1966. Good winters then, too.

Shown it before, but tweaked this scan from slide a bit.

Not my car. Typical for 20-year old then, I had a bicycle.

They're great aren't they, its funny, you meet a nice looking girl who doesn't wear white stiletto's, then she opens her mouth and ruins everything.

Have you thought of taking the same photo, but with your Corrado in it? Would be cool, being 40 years on.

Phil wrote:

Have you thought of taking the same photo, but with your Corrado in it? Would be cool, being 40 years on.

I have done a couple of photos like that, but not of Corrado.

Today, you will probably not be allowed access to the car park where the Cortina was sitting. (See photo looking other way and showing transmitters, etc.) The security climate was totally different in 1966. Despite being at "cold war" with the Russians and the west feeling as paranoid as the Reds, you could come and go in your own country without fear of terrorism or being restricted from walking freely and taking photos. Some thought about the possibility of "the big one" being dropped, but most of the young did not in this era of hedonism and optimism.

I took 1st photo of favourite spot on cycle run outside home town in April 1964.

In June this year I revisited (by car, unfortunately) and took picture using digital Sony camera.

I have enlarged these and printed them on A4 for a neighbour of my mother who I just found out lived near this burn, where, as a boy, he guddled for trout.

Off topic, but at least back onto fish!

R-E-T-R-O! Loving the pic with the Cortina!!

Scotland looks remakably like cornwall from your photos, make me realise just how lucky I am to live down here!

We love your (Essex) babes in white stilettos, though!

What was that word the irreplacable Ian Drury managed to rhyme with "Cortina" in that song about B. Dicky from Essex?

Oops, now I remember.