Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Put engine back to standard, now it wont start. :(

Ok, heres what ive done.

Removed Schrick VGI and all associated parts.

Removed Schrick 268 cams

Refitted standar cams

Put it all back together

Removed piggy back chip from ecu, reconnected the cut pin.

Got it all back together for 8.50 tonight then tried to start it, turns over fine but no spark.

Im thinking its due to the ecu, one of 2 things.

As the pin was cut and grounded it has lost its settings for the immobiliser, anyone got the procedure for recoding and ill give it a go tommorow?

Other possibility is the chip on the ecu is knackered, will also try putting the rechip back in and see if it gets a spark and just runs poorly if the above doesnt work.

Anything else to try? Im hoping its just the immobiliser but im doubtful as its not even catching for a second then cutting out like it used to when I used my spare key that isnt coded. :(

Have you got VAG-COM? If it was the factory immobiliser at fault, it would, as you say, start and run for a moment and then cut.

Bound to be something trivial amd i'm sure you'll sort it Joe...

My bets on the chip as I think you suspect that too...

Also check crank and cam sensor plugged in, ecu relay in place?

Assume cam timing is ok and sender wheel swapped back over...

Crank sensor and ecu relay havent been touched, car would run poorly without cam sensor.

Timing was unchanged, swapped the cams over without even taking the gear wheels off the chains, wouldnt affect the spark anyway. :(

Im really thinking it must be the chip, but ill check all the simple things first like vag-com, fuses etc. Hopefully the vag com shows something as I really dont want to have to find an ecu.

I would say it's most likely the wiring after you disconnected the piggy back ECU myself .. double check that side of things. You *might* have fried your ECU, but more likely is the ECU isn't getting a crank sensor signal.

Just checked everything and tried VAG-Com, everything seems ok other than the 2 fault codes.

The usual crank sensor, and the 2nd fault is engine start blocked by immobiliser. Hopefully this means as I suspected I just need to recode the ecu, anyone know how to do this? Mike Edwards told me before but it was in a wanted thread that has now been deleted.

Ah, ok. Odd though cos the engine blocked by immobiliser usually takes a few seconds to come up. But then, if the key has been in the lock, with the ignition on for a few seconds..

Is it the "usual" crank sensor one? "No signal"? If it's anything other than "No signal" then it's the crank sensor wiring.

Yeah, usual crank sensor one. It hasnt been touched so no reason for it to fail. Ive tried clearing the codes and they both appear again as soon as I try to start the car.

Dunno if any of the mods can access the old thread actually? The procedure was in a Wanted thread by myself for a standard chip.

Its alive. :D

Done the ecu recode and tried to start it, battery was flat but ran vag com and the immobiliser code had cleared.

Got a jump and it still wouldnt start, only code showing was still the crank sensor, so had a look under the bonnet to check over all the connections and it turned out the crank sensor was unplugged!!! I remembered doing it straight away when I undone the engine mount to get it out of the way, plugged it back in and the car fired up straight away.