Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

keeping a sub still in the boot!

Just bought a sub, thing is its 'very' heavy and i dont want it to slide about in the boot or, potentially, decapitate me buy flying through the back seats if i had an accident.

Whats the best way of keeping it in place, while still making it fairly easy to take out if i need to? dont really want to take on a mojor 'build a mdf floor for the boot' type project if i can avoid it!

cant wait to get it running...whompa whompa whompa!

Sweet Chris

what sub hev you bought? can't wait to get my install in the car, but I'll wait, it'll be worth it..

as for keeping it still, have you got a carpeted boot? I used to use strips of velcro stuck to the bottom of box, found it gripped the carpet well, and didn't slide about :D

I bought a 10" pro-plus sub in a nice box off ebay for £30 plus the postage! not the best but suits my limited budget! :D

I got some magnat classic 6x9's which are brilliant amped and at low volumes, but i listen to lots of rap (yo) and they dont like bass at high volumes so i'm using the amp to run the sub and running the 6x9's off the connections for the standard rear speakers. I put some little pioneer things on the dash, which really supprised me, sound quality is great from such little speakers. My C is pre-door speakers which is a bit of a poo, but its very loud as it is, and sounds pretty good...sub testing at lunchtime i think!!

yeah, the boots carpeted, hadnt thought of velcro actually, good idea! bit on the boot floor and a bit on the back of the seats should be enough.... ta bally!

Hi,

Velcro is good if the sub is light one and the boot floor is flat.

Ive got a 12" JBL Sub with a "big box" and i use sub box straps that you can get from preety much any half descent stereo shop- there about 10 sheets for a pair. And they hold it in place no probs. :p

you need some rock straps you bolt/screw them to the body and the uther end on the sub they have a clip so you can take them out these are the only thing that will stop the sub from moving in a crash :)

well, put the sub in last night and I'm well impressed, no more farty distortion with the volume up!

Only thing is, i've put my 6x9's onto the original wires and they sound poo! I'm going to try the amp in tri mode at lunchtime to se if it helps....time for another post i think...

Don't know if you have any sort of crossovers on the leads to the 6x9s. In my old car, had two 8's in boxes running off an amp and the door 6''s running straight from deck. BUT, in the actual L/R channel cord coming out of the back of the deck, you can buy little sound capacitors that cut directly into the wire. I used four of these (two front - L/R and two back - L/R) WORKED CHERRY! Man, that system bumped because I had all my bass and a lil' midrange going into the amp and subs. All the upper mids and uppers went through the smaller door speakers. Good luck!

Ethan

Check what frequencies your speakers run at and buy the relevent in line capacitor from maplins for a few pence and that should make them sound better.

Also check the wiring isnt out of faze ie positive to positive, negative to negative.

Hope this helps

:D :D

my original amp was clipping on the right channel :( blew 2 subs and the tweeters in one of the 6x9's before i relised thats what it was....arse. New amp on the way (thanks DM!) and new sub off ebay, not so worried about the 6x9's they just add a bit of midrange, if ones a bit stuffed its not a major deal for now.

I've got two amps, 6x9's and and 12" sub in the boot of the golf and i've found the best thing to use is the plastic blocks they use to hold old kitchen cupboards together! simply screw them in to the floor (i have an MDF false floor) and have one in each corner of the sub box nice and tight, hold it in place no worries. also cheap!

Good Luck!