Sign in to follow this  
red_baron

Half a sunroof

Greetings all... just to coincide with the cold and (really) damp weather, my sunroof has jammed open in the raised position. When I try to close it, only the driver's side goes down.

The cable still seems in tact, but it doesn't even attempt to close the passenger side of the roof. I've had a chat with a couple of people about it and they say the only way to see what's properly wrong is to remove the trim from the roof panel and get a proper look... anyone got any advice on possible causes or suggestions of easy ways to strip it down?

Cheers.

hi

as a temporary get it down fix, take off the sunroof panel, just slide the smaller trim inside towards the back, and you will see 4 torx head screws one in each corner of the panel. take them out, slide the stuck lever backwards to match the other and then refit panel from inside.

The only way to repair them properly is to remove the whole thing, which means you can't mount the panel any more. i have a few spares if you need them. no charge, just postage.

good luck

dic

Right... I've managed to get the sunroof down temporarily - thanks for the advice dic. The die-cast bracket on the passenger side has broken off at the end - the cable and everything esle seems to be in tact. I've attached some photos showing this.

It looks as though it will be a complete pig to replace just this part (obviously with the whole mechanism removed from the car)... will I need to replace the whole thing?

I seem to have uncovered another problem however. I posted another post at the same time about my seemingly leaky windscreen http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48780. This appears to be being caused by the sunroof as well - the plastic moulding with the drain hole at the front appears to be leaking inside the roof cavity where is is bonded to the metal frame (photo attached taken from inside the car looking towards the front LH side of the roof). Is it just a case of re-sealing this, or is it more serious?

Thanks,

Ian

hi Ian

Try resealing it, maybe a cable tie would do it, or go the never in doubt route with a jubilee clip.

Now the bit thats broken. Is it a silver alloy or a grey alloy ? Can't quite tell from pic.

The grey one is the riser, and the silver one is actually part of the cable, but both are fairly easy fixes.

Either one will involve removing the sunroof, which isn't as awful as it sounds. The US corrado site gives details of how they do it, but there is a lot easier way of doing it. Ie not removing most of the trim. Have done it 3 times now with various corrados, and always works.

Let me know if I can help. Left side gone I can see, all mine went there too.

Dic

just had anopther look at pics. it is the cable thats broken. When you replace cable, also ask for a refurb kit for the rear runner, as this is 99% sure thats what caused the cable to snap. they are about £30 plus the cable. I hav a spare 2nd hand cable for the right, but not for the left.

Dic

I take it both the cable and the runner kit can be easliy bought from VW?

I may need a little advice when replacing the cable etc. as I can't see an easy way of dismatling it at the moment.

You said there is an easy way to remove the sunroof without removing the trim... this sounds ideal! How do I do this?

My photo regarding the leak may have been a bit misleading... I've attached another piccy with a blue line along the joint that's leaking.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi again

Yeah, that blue line, never had one leak there b4 but would suggest either a silicone seal or even better, epoxy putty. seals and bonds anything.

Cable on sunroof slides out of the back end, which is why you need to remove it.

Firstly pull down the cover that sits between the headlining and the boot opening. start at the centr, but beware it is bonded in the middle.

next remove sunroof switch panel and motor, visors and handles over the doors. remove trim around sunroof, inside, and gently pull down headlining, always working from the middle, towards the edges

there are 10 bolts to remove and the whole thing will drop down, after also removing the drains

refitting is careful reversal, have patience, and CLEAN HANDS. baby wipes are brilliant.

the sunroof dismantling is easy, everything comes out the back. do it one side at a time, and use the other side as a guide. it is not a sdifficult as most people woulkd have you believe. go careful, with CLEAN HANDS and use the other side as a guide

pm me and i'll give you my mobile incase you get stuck

Dic

I had this problem but it was the piece of metal on the runner snapped and left it half open, got a bit of string and hooked it round and while some1 closes with the switch you pull on the tread,, closed

Hi Mate,

How did you get on is it all sorted now? I had the same cable snap on me the day I picked up my G60 :-( was driving it home typical it didnt go when I was looking round the car as he demonstrated the sunroof working both slide and tilt! Anyway it took me 6 hours to get the bugger out replace the lefthand side cable lube it all up, then when I put it back in I found it tilts open and shut but wont slide anymore! :mad:

Also the corner your roof is leaking in could be that the drain hole on that side might be blocked? Is it still leaking?

Cheers

Dan

So far I've removed the roof lining... surprisingly easy to be honest. Parts are on order with VW and should arrive tomorrow...

To be honest I'm not particularly looking forward to replacing the bits when they do arrive, but I guess I'll find out how easy it is tomorrow night!

The drain holes seem ok, its just the plastic moulding that's leaking - a bit of sealant should do the trick.

I'll let you know how I get on... or not as the case may be!

Cheers,

Ian

Honestly ian it's easy really. Don't convince yourself it's gonna be difficult before you try. Just use the other side as a guide.

Dan, the reason yours wont slide, is you need to replace the rear guide as well as the cable. The cable snapping is because the rear guide is shagged.

It's not an expensive fix, and seeing as the sunroof is fitted, it seems a shame not to use it................LOL says he with a sunburnt bald patch on me head......................

Cheers Dic... I'm sure I'll be ok. Actually, I'm really surprised how easy it has been to get so far (removing the trim etc - used to FIATs where everything breaks)... just cleaned the roof lining this evening with Vanish foamy stuff - seems to have done the job and removed 12 years of hair gel deposits!

The plan is to get everything replaced tomorrow night assuming that the parts arrive from VW. Looking forward to having it fixed and driving it again. On to the next job then... getting the timing chains + clutch replaced! (not sure I'll manage that one on my own thoug...)

mmmmmmmm leave that one to the garage.

my vr6 is engineless at the mo, having rebore and head rebuild. despite having 3 others to use, they are just not the same as my "baby"

Good luck

The evening started really well... managed to get 10% discount at VW. Had a few glitches to start with but as you've said Dic its really easy to replace everything...

I've discovered one part that's broken though that I don't have a spare for - images attached (apologies for the garish dust-sheet!). Its part of the mechanism that ultimately holds the steel roof in place - part number 722 686 987 LI. I think this may have caused the die-casting to fail in the first place.

There is a lot of old grease on the parts I've taken off - do I need to re-grease the track before I replace everything?

Cheers,

Ian

i use copper slick to regrease it, but it says to use specific stuff, but heh, grease is grease unless it gets hot.

Sure the part you have there should be part of the refurb kit. These were the bits that were broken on mine, and came as part of the kit. Maybe there is one more kit than I thought. ?

The two kits I got were the cable kit for both LH & RH and a replacement kit for the LH runner that sits in front of the cable die-casting assembly. I'm hoping that they can get hold of this other kit fairly quickly so I can get it fixed and move onto the other jobs that need doing!

Well... it's taken longer than expected (been acting as a tour guide for some Taiwanese visitors at work for the past week) - plus once I'd fixed the LHS, I noticed the same issues with the RHS. Now its in the car and ALMOST finished - apart from the fact I can't get the bloody interior sunroof trim to slide back into position :mad2:

I tried to force it but broke the RH hinged fastener (part number 357 877 270 :( ) - I'll have to pick another of these up from VW, unless anyone has one I can have (abviously for a small fee) - piccy attached. What am I doing wrong? It just doesn't seem to want to engage with the mechanism...

im having similar problem with mine, all of a sudden its tilting and will come back down but wont slide back it clicks and the rear edge drops but doesnt continue to slide. was wondering if its a motor problem or if its been knocked and something is physically stopping it. any ideas? thanks in advance.

2corrados was a great help to me... he may have more valid ideas than me but it sounds like you could have "issues" with the guides like I had. You may be able to see if something is obviously broken by removing the steel sunroof (this is really easy - when tilted just slide the internal trim backwards and remove the 4 torque-head screws - you'll be able to see most of the mechanism).

I've finally managed to get hold of the VW electronic parts guide, so if you need any help identifying any bits, just let me know - that goes for anyone else too...

smiffy, you will find that this is caused by wear on the rear runners. there is no fix other than what I explained to the red baron. If you get stuck, give us a nudge and I'll see if I can help.

Red Baron, well done, knew you would get there in the end. Which side thingy bobs did you need and I'll have a look.

Ref getting the trim back in, tilt the roof first, and then try it, you can see where the bits are going then too.

Been having real trouble getting onto the forum, must be this debug mode thingy.

Dic

Its the RHS that I managed to break - frustration of being so close to having it properly finished I think... Even with the roof tilted I can't seem to get the trim to slide the last 1/3rd. When I lower the roof with the trim in that position, it goeas backwards into the headlining!!

Smiffy... like 2corrados says, getting the roof out isn't as daunting as I thought it would be - its pretty easy really.

Just contacted VW and they have ONE of these showing on their system nationwide... they won't reserve it for me until I give them my card details... and I can't give these over the phone!!! Fate appears to have intervened once again as I can't get to VW until Saturday :(

Any luck looking 2corrados?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian,

just had a look. I have a right hand one whch looked great until I took it off, and it fell apart. The only others I have are on a complete sunroof assembly, which is destined for my VR6. The one currently in the vr6 will be removed but not for a few weeks yet, and I know there are 2 good ones on there.

Sorry can't be more help

Dic