Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

G60 Induction noise

I'm considering a twin cone filter set up from SWG.

Question is, how noisy are they (or any cone set-up for that matter) in terms of induction roar / drone when just tootling along??

I don't mind a nice growl when I put my foot down, but the thought of a constant drone is putting me off a bit.

A bit anal, but does anyone have an audio clip - or just their views to help me make my mind up...

Thanks.

i couldnt put up with it ...maybe im getting old

try running the car with the lower part of the airbox off....make sure the filter is still in place , just to give you a idea of how loud they are

someone should arrange a group buy for the twin inlet kits?[/quote

Yes i agree, maybe just after christmas :wink:

i was guna ask for 1 for xmas :lol: if it included bothe airbox and cone type i reckon there might be a bit of interest

What are you running at the moment? I was running a drilled airbox before with CC removed and a cold air feed. To be honest I don't think its any louder. Depends what you are used too I guess

Well I experimented on my old G60 with the standard airbox, and the standard airbox with the induction 'trumpet' thingy removed from the airbox. The noise was fun for about.. ooh.. 10 minutes then the constant droning pulse of the induction noise started to give me a headache.

Its not even like the G60 induction noise is nice and throaty like that of a VR6 with an induction kit - its just a droning boom.

No thanks.

Well I experimented on my old G60 with the standard airbox, and the standard airbox with the induction 'trumpet' thingy removed from the airbox. The noise was fun for about.. ooh.. 10 minutes then the constant droning pulse of the induction noise started to give me a headache.

Its not even like the G60 induction noise is nice and throaty like that of a VR6 with an induction kit - its just a droning boom.

No thanks.

It's goin to be personal preference isn't it.... I'm 23 and like my Golf loud. Nothing better than rolling through town at about 1800rpm :lol:

Yeah - to be fair it does come down to personal preference. Much like the never ending G60/VR6 nonsense that comes up :)

As I say - sometimes it was fun and the attention was amusing (people used to turn around like right at the other end of the road if you gave it a quick blat such was the noise) but its either one or the other and if you've had a bad day and you just wanna crawl home, its like having someone hammering on your head - especially with the way the induction sort of pulses / throbs! Arrghh... :)

Video's with the snorkel removed from the airbox,sounded crazy at first and gave me headache too jim :lol:

Got used to it now though...it is a real droney kinda noise.

th_2ndgearat30mph1mpeg.jpg

th_mannyroadMPG.jpg

Neil.

Refering to the top vid.

Is that the normal kind of acceleration for a 68mm G60.

My 3rd gear seems much more sluggishat 60.

EDIT: Just been to your website (http://www.volksdevil.com/corrado%20g60.htm) and those shift lights are awesome!

Thanks m8 :D how did you come across the rado page out of interest?

Refering to the top vid.

Is that the normal kind of acceleration for a 68mm G60.

My 3rd gear seems much more sluggishat 60.

Ill be honest m8,the car used to be quicker (as vid) than it is now and i dont really know why :( haven't had time to think about it or look into it though,maybe a boost leak...

Neil.

Not sure m8,it was quite soon after a full blend rebuild at pitstop,it did loose the whine after a bit of mileage...

Neil. :)

Ahhhh,yeah. :)

Mine was stage 2 before,and it was a lot more noisy after the full blend...kinda wish the noise hung around for a bit longer like,it just faded away a bit.

Still sounds pretty droney similar to the vids like.

Neil.

I know what you mean about G60's being up and down.

Unfortuantly i never seem to have everything on my rado working at the same time lol.