Sign in to follow this  
Beetlebug_2001

BP Ultimate, u heard of it?

What K-star does is control the advance curve, which overcomes the main downfall of K-Jet mech injection. Means it will recognise the lower octane fuel and automaticaly retard the timing (removing the pinking), and gradually advance the timing again over the rev band and depending on load. This is what the more modern electronic injection engines do.

The standard K-Jet has to be manually set to account for the fuel type. But it will not adjust itself dependant revs or load. Retarding the timing will allow 95ron to be used without pinking, but it will lose a fair amount of power.

K-jet allows 95ron to be used with minimal loss of power as it makes the engine more efficient.

I was told by mechanic to advance it as far as it will go to squeeze any extra power out of it. At the moment mines at 5 deg advanced (don't know what factory settings are), thats as far as mine will go on 98ron. This same guy advances the toyota corrolla twin cams to 15deg :shock:

If we're talking about an 1800 valver, how does K Star automatically retard the timing without a knock sensor? I've had two K Star KS301s on past valvers and they didn't automatically adjust anything. They just obeyed manually entered fuel and ignition settings.

You can get a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor for KS301 and it will then be load sensitive. The only gripe I have with K Star is it's too slow, but I think they have recently uprated the circtuitry to make it respond faster.

The easiest way to get an 1800 16V to run on 95 unleaded is to use the brain from a South African MK2 Golf 16V.

K

Use optimax in my g60 definitely feels better more responsive etc.

PS going to try the bp stuff

Sandy G60

I tried the Bp stuff for a week and dont think it's as good as the optimax which i use all the time. I might be imagining it but the car felt far less responsive on the bp stuff.

So ive put mine back on a strict diet of optimax!

It's quite possible we're all running slightly different mixes of Optimax and Ultimate - one person's "less responsive" could well be cos their local shell/bp gets a supply from a different refinery than another person's "more responsive".

As someone posted a while back, the RON rating can remain high on a fuel, even if overall it's combustive properties are way down on what you might expect. For once the yanks got it right - their RON ratings are an average of the real RON and the PON figure, thereby showing more about the quality of the fuel..

I've had some optimax that was good, some that wasn't so good. I've only done a single tank of ultimate so far, and my impression has been good, but that could easily be a coincidence..

dr_mat, I agree with you actually - I have definitely had varying results with Optimax.

I have been told that Optimax doesnt retain it's Octane level so perhaps if a station has an old supply it wont be as potent as one with a fresh one. I tend to pop in about £15 a time in case that's true!

Have used the Ultimate twice now and all I can say is TIP TOP!! :)

Interestingly the Corrado manual says the G60 takes 95 only

Not exactly true - It states that 95ron is the minimum - page 65 of the manual states that 98ron can be used.

Fuel flap sticker states that 98ron is preferable to 95ron.

With the timing duly adjusted, I can confirm that my car runs far better on higher octane fuel.