Sign in to follow this  
leigha

intermittent pas problem

i have a wierd fault on the pas... the story so far:

when we bought the car, the previous owner said it had this intermittent fault on the pas whereby it just cuts out sometimes. when we got the car home, we found there was no pas belt fitted! i assumed the belt must have been on the way out and broken so i fitted a new one and hey-presto, pas was returned!

alas, it now seems the fault is something else... the pas belt is fine (less than a week old still) but every now and then, the pas simply cuts out. there doesn't seem to be any specific way of prompting this and it isn't engine rev or road speed dependant.

the pas belt is fine and correctly tesnioned and the pas fluid is topped up. there isn't any of the usual gridding noises that come with a stuffed pas pump either.

any ideas?

the only thing i can think of is that it may be related to the tracking being well out at the moment, maybe overloading the system?

the assistance loss it completely random, wet or dry, hot or cold. it sometimes cuts out on a drive then cuts back in.

i may change the fluid at the weekend to see if that helps but i can't imagine it being that...

incidentally, i now have the rack centred up and the tracking done with some new tyres on and the problem is still the same

Look up VOLKSAPART IN Google, i've just had a recon pump from them for my '90 valver, about 65 quid delivered with 3 month warranty....

P.S. you need the type with the short shaft...

Hope this helps...

that's not bad!

for the time being it's not causing much of a problem... i have noticed that hard braking downhill will sometimes provoke it to cut out and sometimes, blipping the throttle in neutral will sort it out.

in the mean time the other problems have taken priority for anything that needs my money so i'm going to 'survey' the problem a while longer and see if it fixes itself!