Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Timing chains + More

Well I'm really toying with the idea of getting my chains done soon :roll: TBH although the mileage is around £147k..... It does seem to coping very well and isn't really showing signs of "marbles in the Jar" :lol:

I'm just taking further steps to get it Minter"...

What I was thinking though, from reading through various threads... Is it a good time to get other things done or mods whilst all ths major work is being done :wink:

So.... Apart from the basics of new chains and cam followers, clutch etc.... I read about:

Head gasket being done

Replacing the Oil pump

rebuilding the gear box etc.....

I'm looking for some technicals from you guys really.... I would have thought that possibly getting the gear box rebuilt would be a must with that many miles...

What about mods... Like uprating the box to a 6speed and stuff

I'm just getting lost in all of this now :lol:...

I do need to keep the costs down so... I'm looking to get as much improvement as possible on a very little budget...

Sorry about the woffling :D

I am in the same position as you at the moment. I am looking to have the chains + tensioners etc along with a new clutch fitted. I am also going to have some 264 cams fitted along with new followers.

I did/ am think about the head gasket, stem seals etc but its making good power (at 148K) and not using oil so might hold back on that as its another 400-500 for the complete head overhaul. And as they say if its not broke dont fix it!

I wouldn't worry too much about the gearbox mate unless it feels shagged.

You can always drop it out at some point in the future and get it rebuilt.

MMM.... What about changes to bits and pieces such as uprated cams and I really do fancy 6 speed box!!!!!

How hard is it to do ????

Cams are well worth doing Marcus.

I'd forget the 6 speed unless you are minted at the moment.

And finally, get a schrick :)

While we are on this topic what is the recommended mileage for getting the chains done??

"when they're worn out".

when ur engine sounds like a sewing machine at 1200 rpm thats the recomended mileage hehe

if your getting new cams GET NEW TAPPETS

i got the gearbox rebuilt at the same time as the chains/clutch as the gearbox has to be removed so its a single cost labour job,

at the same time i got a peloquin limited slip fitted and 3.6 final drive makes so much difference: grip - cornering - more effective rev range

i got the gearbox rebuilt at the same time as the chains/clutch as the gearbox has to be removed so its a single cost labour job,

at the same time i got a peloquin limited slip fitted and 3.6 final drive makes so much difference: grip - cornering - more effective rev range

MMM... Interesting....

I just really wouldn't mint getting that extra gear in the "C" 6speed sounds nice and I'm sure it would benefit on the good old motorways!!!

Does anyone know if this is going to be a straight forward Job??? I don't think I've ever come across a Vr with 6 gears.... On the 2.9 12v engine :)

Isn't it about 2 grand for a 6 speed conversion?

Sounds about right! My friend got Quaife to do his Golf Rallye. Custom ratios and semi-straight cut gears. I was surprised how quiet it was. Mike at Jabbasport had one in his Rallye and that was quiet too. Not like a normal trans but not over the top.

The extra cog was quite long for cruising and it fitted in the end of the box with a small casing extension.