Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

Seat heaters

I have (allegedly) heated leather Recaros. I thought to give myself a warm-up on these frosty mornings.

How long should they take to heat up?

When I switch either of them on there is a click, presumably from a relay somewhere at the back. But even after several minutes there is no apparent extra warmth. If I switch on the ignition and headlights, without the engine running there is no dimming of the lights at all when switching on the seat heaters which makes me wonder if they are drawing any current. I would have thought that they are supposed to make quite a drain on the electrical system.

If they are faulty, are spare heating elements available and from where? Is the replacement fairly straightforward? Is this a common problem?

Best wishes

RB

I've been usin my heated seats for the last couiple of weeks as it's been baltic here! If I crank them up to 5, I would say that they are pretty warm (ie definitely noticeable) within 5 mins. I can't comment on the drain they make on the battery though as I've not tried it.

Hope that helps a bit?

Edit: Mine aren't however Recaros, so that might be of no use whatsover....

I have (allegedly) heated leather Recaros. I thought to give myself a warm-up on these frosty mornings.

If you can't get them working and really need heated seats I have a pair of grey leather (working) heated seats that I'd consider swapping for your unheated Recaros :)

Right then, they are certainly not working, despite the relays clicking.

I would prefer to eliminate all other possibilities before taking the seat elements out, so have looked into Bentley for a clue on which fuse they are wired through. Either I am being rather dim, or the American spec cars did not have electrically heated seats, or the fuse is somewhere other than on the main fuse board (or maybe all three of the above.......).

Anyway, does anyone know where the fuse(s) for the heaters might be? It seems slightly odd that both have failed - especially the passenger seat which is completely pristine and looks as though it has hardly ever been used.

Thanks

Best wishes

RB

the relay for the seats is in the rear passenger side panel , i would check the wiring , even though they are clicking this only tells you they are receiving current ,just check the connections from there to the seats is good

the relays clicking is a very good sign , this shows the switch and relays are good , both are very expensive for what they are

i would unplug the loom under the seats and get a multi tester on there to check the current , its extremely unlikely all the elements have gone , its more likely someone has had the seats out and not plugged them back in

mine are toasty within 5 mins

hth

Paul

Tonedef,

many thanks for the diagrams.

Best wishes

RB

No problem Roger, hope they don the trick. At least it shouod point you at which terminals to stick the multimeter in. :lol: