CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

Most of the work is now done, still waiting on welding TBD.

All the front is back on and I've had the chargecooler pump and fan running, small amount of air in the top hose but soon got that out by cracking the top hose and filling directly into the hose.

The water is now clear and air free and the cooler is very cold to touch.

Going to make speed sensing control board for the fan. So if you go above 20 mph the fan switches off and back on again at 10mph. Just like the rear spoiler but lower speeds! Also going to add a temperature sensor so if it's really cold the fan stays off completly.

I'll post some more pics ASAP.

Been a while since last update.

Busy sorting out last few bits and bobs. Fans are all wired up, wow is the fan system complicated on a Corrado, 4 switches, after run cooling etc etc.

Anyway I wired the new SPAL fan to come on with the lowest and medium setting so it will run with the after run electric pump. The SPAL fan is really efficient and quiet.

I also had the charge cooler pump and fan wired up properly. The pump is nice and quiet, the fan is pretty loud. Don't want that on all the while so I'll need to do something with controlling it, or just stick it on a switch in the car for now!

I fitted new plug leads and sleeved them all up. And finished all the heat lagging on the CC. Might even wrap the cooler up, which would be a shame as it's very pretty (not that I'm into that sort of thing..)

Can't do much this weekend, need all the welding stuff sorted.....Its being started on Monday.

Things left to do:

Fit downpipe and O2 sensors

Fit Inlet and boost pipework

Fit fuel rail to short manifold.

Sort throttle linkage and dipstick bracket to manifold.

Fit short manifold and sort the plumbing of the ISV, fuel reg, vacuum hoses etc.

Sort some mapping out for the MegaSquirt on boost!

So it'll be a big push easter weekend to get it all finished.

60.jpg

you have been busy Dave, i'm still un-decided about which CC to go for :? but must say the PWR one does look well made, and it looks cool in the engine bay. and the biggest thing for me, is that you dont have to re-locate the battery.

so are you gonna be making/selling those manifolds??? if you are, please put me down for one, as it looks top quality. :notworthy:

cant wait to pop round, and have a look at this rado when done.

karl

The fan only runs at one speed, but I connected the low and medium speed wires to the fan to make sure it comes on even if one of the switches fails.

You could get two speeds by fitting a high current load resistor in circuit with the low speed. This would give a lower fan speed.

The OE fan has two resistors (I think), different values so that you get a total of three speeds.

But the best way to do it (and when mines all running again I'll do it), would be to use a MosFET transistor to do PWM control. Then you could vary the speed as slow as you like and slowly go faster if the temperature increases.

Cool stuff but all takes a bit of time.

Hi Dave, was nice to meet you yesterday, I have been thinking of going down the megasquirt route after our chat, be nice if I could sort out my fuelling without the need for another trip to stealth and not blowing my head gasket! I would probably need some help though.

Hope you get yours up and running soon, be good if you could bring it along to the next meet.

Karl, I'd wait and see if it works OK first! Not sure about selling them, but I don't mind posting the details / drawings so anybody else can have a go.

ziderapple, good to meet you to. Thanks for the ride out, charged VR's do go rather well (even if you didn't get a full map due to H.Gasket trouble). Always on hand to help out with MS. When I get running finally, I'll have a bit of sorting out to finish off the mapping, then it should be a good base for other FI VRs.

Looks like vwchick is organising another meet for the end of the month, so with a bit of luck, I should be done by then. Fingers crossed etc....

Thanks for the little diversion home today Dave, good to see the WIP is coming on very nicely indeed! Just need to upgrade those brakes now! :)

Dave, good to meet you yesterday- car looks awesome in the pics- can't wait to see it in the metal- hopefully it'll be ready for the next meet :)

Think I'll have to head down to this next Bath meet, if the mintiest Corrado in Worcester's going to have its debut! Haven't seen it since it was stock. Well, stock plus Megasquirt.

Dave,

Good to see you twice over the wknd - Bath meet and CCGB AGM.

We are all waiting to see/hear this marvellous creation, when you're ready to show her off. Possibly see you at the end of the month, if this next meet gets off the ground. :)

edit...Dave, maybe in due course, you'd consider doing a piece on your mota for the Sprinter? :wink:

Good chatting to you yesterday Dave, that car is going to be awesome...

Look forward to seeing it up and running..

DaveStorm well I couldn't let you drive past my front door without having a little look at the C! My daughter wondered why you'd driven off in my car?

MrSands, you are very kind. In fact so much so that you shamed me into washing the car (whist still on axle stands!). Looks a bit better now. Why wait till Bath, give me a shout and pop round when you like.

CazzaVR, I hope so to, not as much fun at meets when all you've got to show is a handful of pictures!

chazrad, well I did say I'd help out if poss, so I'll get that done when the C's running. In fact I was thinking about what to write last night!

Goldie, thanks for the info on brakes etc. Good to have a look around your car on Sunday, very very tidy.

OK I must be getting excited now, cos the mid week posts have started!

Just got all my pipework back from the welders. They've made a fantastic job of it all.

I had some worries that the alloy cast section would not take to the plate OK. Didn't need to though, VW must use low impurity castings, cos they welded to the plate a treat.

I was even out in the dark trying the manifold out on the car.

65.jpg

Fits really nice. I'm going to get it powdered black I think?

66.jpg

Lots of exhaust, inlet and boost pipes, all in stainless.

67.jpg

Welders even made sure the ports had all been matched with a grinding stone before welding the box closed.

Really pleased with the whole lot. Guess whats gonna happen this weekend :D :D :D

Fair does Dave that welding work looks excellent. Making really good progress, not long now then!

Looking good dave, nice work on the manifold. You need to cut off water pipes block off TB.

Need to find a couple of rubber / silicon blanking caps. Just haven't spotted anything on my travels yet.

Dave mate, excellent work!

there is no way in the world I would attempt any of that, nice one!

My Turbo should be delivered soon, and obviously I will need some advise, i'll get the PMs ready :lol:

Dave mate, excellent work!

My Turbo should be delivered soon, and obviously I will need some advise, i'll get the PMs ready :lol:

No probs, it's a lot of fun!

The insurance was the bit I was dreading, but had a real good chat with John at Brentacre and it's all sorted. Should be on the road at the weekend!