CrazyDave

Crazy Daves Bog Standard 16v :)

So what sort of head fettling are we talking about Dave? Porting and polishing?

I was about to ask the very same thing!

Good work, Dave :) Nice to see the humble valver getting some attention ;)

Sorry for the huge delay in responding...... nothing too much on the fettling front, just a clean up and light polish really.

Just for a change, some dirty pictures of the VRT! Just after returning from 'The Ring' :D

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC_01630001.JPG[/attachment:1nqbc83a]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_01700002.JPG[/attachment:1nqbc83a]

And some clean ones with the latest mod..... must be worth about 20hp that sticker :lol:

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_01730003.JPG[/attachment:1nqbc83a]

DSC_01760004.JPG[/attachment:1nqbc83a]

Snap! put mine there too! Took K1PVW for a new alarm fitting yesterday mate and they were amazed at the condition of it then he saw the ring sticker and just pointed to it and said, you haven't have you!!!!!!!! :shock: :cuckoo:

Made my day but i kind of agreed with him too :lol:

Indeed it does look swell and i think mine adds 22 Bhp :grin:

I'd love to know where those extra horses are then - cause I did that "mod" on my car a few years back and it's slow as schitt!! :D :lol:

really wished i had gone on the germany trip :( looks like it was a right laugh.

so what was it like loosing your Ring virginity Dave?? and was Tom behind you when you lost it??

Dave.

looks cool with the ring sticker. Id really like to earn one of those. Maybe next year. Ive been so busy plus fixing my Corrado (blown matrix) I havn't managed any events.

See you soon.

Karl, it was awesome mate! One of those experiences you just have to go for, nice and gentle that built up to a good hard thrash and the ring wasn't bad either :lol:

Toms camp fire show of 'seagulling' with the Corrado players has left its mark thats for sure :lol: not laughed so much in ages.

Jim, sticker must be in the wrong place, makes a big difference.

Kip, quality :D and I mean't it when I said you didn't hang around. You chucked it into the carousel like an animal (maybe a badger or an otter on heat!)

David, sorry to hear you're having trouble, especially of the matrix variety. That's not a nice job at all :( Still glad it's sorted and we must have another meet soon, got any dates when you're free?

Cheers Boost, doesn't brush up too bad really, glad you like it. It definately goes a lot better without the camping gear, shopping, spares, tools, beer etc etc......

Andy, yeh the valver is getting some attention. It's also getting a new exhaust and front suspension rebuild very soon (bushes, inner and outer track rod ends, ball joints, top mounts, ARB bushes). Decided to keep the old gal, as it's loads of fun to drive.

I have a list of minor jobs to work through on the VR. New genuine rad to go on but I'm going to mount 2 Spal fans (12" & 8") on a custom laser cut bracket instead of just one 12", the mounting frame needs designing, so another job. But should give plenty of cooling for those hot summer days we get over here!

The next version of short manifold is nearly finished, and is much lighter and gives better clearance at the front.

Engine breather needs sorting out properly, it smells and has been getting a bit warm near the turbo.

Should also have some different springs to try soon, courtesy of Corozin, cheers John!

It's never ending really!

Bloody ages since posting in here.....sorry.....

Anyway, just finished fitting some Pi springs kindly lent to me by Toad (who knows what favours he'll be after :roll: )

Ride comfort is much improved from the Eibachs which have had been fitted for the last 4 years. The overall change is to lower the front a little from the Eibachs and increase the rear ride height by about 1", they feel a little softer than the Eibachs too.

To say it's transformed the handling is an understatement, no more banging and crashing over the bumps! I can now lower the back to the height I want with the adjustable platforms on the Koni dampers.

The pics.....

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC013260002.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Eibach Front

Corrado92.pdfDSC013640001.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Pi Front

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC013250001.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Eibach Rear

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC013320004.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Pi Rear

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC013330005.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Side by side front

DSC013310003.JPG[/attachment:fpg8jxy4]

Side by side rear. Now I know uncompressed springs isn't a valid comparison but you can clearly see the difference in length.

Good to see pics Dave, and to get a favourable report on how they perform. I'll ave to scuttle out in a minute and measure the valver up and see if I can get away with dropping my VR to that height (I've got a 90mm splitter too)

I hadn't actualy seen the springs before, so was a bit urprisd to see them in bright orange. Lol.

you are using koni shockers Dave? and you said they have adjustable platforms? they are not coilovers are they,so is the konis modded or bought like this?

I need to sort mine out as im sick of the crashing over bumps to.

The rear shocks are adjustable- come like that from the store ;) Think they have 5 or so different heights- just need some circlip pliers for adjustment.

Looks better, Dave 8) Glad it's sorted the handling- was a touch harsh before (not too bad though!). When are you getting some coillies then? :lol:

As Andy already mentioned, the rear Koni dampers have some height adjustment. But the Eibachs are so short that even on the max position it's still much to low.

With the Pi springs it can now be adjusted for the best compromise. Might bring it down a little, but it seems to be settling on its own ATM.....

Would love some coilies, but zero budget for that ATM :(

Sounds like a good result Dave. :)

Do you have any data on load/deflection characteristcs of your own and other springs on the market?

Wouldn't the ideal spring be conical, which, assuming constant wire dia, would give full variable rate between a max & a min?

Here's a little idea I've had for a while. Laser cut alloy Spal fan mounting brackets. Really pleased with them. Minimal weight and no need to poke things through the radiator core. They mount off the OE rad mounting points so won't be pulling on the radiator anywhere they shouldn't. Foam pads on the underside fan mounting screws which are also flush mounting so won't damage the rad core. They work out at £25, if anybodies interested drop me a PM and I'll stick them in the for sale section, might even be able to sort out a group buy and get the laser cutting costs down a bit.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_03640001.JPG[/attachment:kf47ut4j]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_03660002.JPG[/attachment:kf47ut4j]

DSC_03670003.JPG[/attachment:kf47ut4j]

I'll get these fitted at the weekend along with the shiney new rad which has been in the garage for far far too long :lol:

Hey Karl, the R32 TB abapters are being done for next week. Shouldn't be a problem for a different size fan, have you got a bigger-small fan then? Your's been on the rollers yet?