Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Fuses that warn you of being blown.

I meant to put this on months ago but only remembered today when putting on a post about this month's Car Mechanics tyre article.

A few months ago in their "new products" section they described a set of fuses you could now buy which (I am nearly certain) display a small light when they have blown.

Sounded pretty useful for any of you guys plagued with electrical gremlins who have to replace fuses fairly regularly, I thought.

they have been availiable through RS components for years, you can also get manually resetable blade type circuit breakers and self resetting ones too. nearly all modern lorrys and the mercedes unimog use the manually resettable breakers.

they have been availiable through RS components for years, you can also get manually resetable blade type circuit breakers and self resetting ones too. nearly all modern lorrys and the mercedes unimog use the manually resettable breakers.

How much are the resetable circuit breakers?

O/T But do you have much to do with Unimogs? Great weapons IMO! Have drivenn a U1800 briefly, and a mate has a couple of U900's

coolrado wrote

they have been availiable through RS components for years, you

Had not heard of them before. Thanks for other info, too. Aint been in many commercial vehicles in my lifetime.

I think the article was mentioning them because they were going to be more well known now, and available at places like Halfrods.

resettable type are not cheap

from RS 6amp replaces 5amp which is normal due to the way these operate

indicator type are a bit cheaper indicator type

havn't had chance to drive any of the mogs yet, i did a lot of installation work on various models of mog from about P reg up to brand new curvy ones for scottish and southern energy, fitting tracking systems.

older ones where very agricultural to work on but the new ones are very similar to the new jcb's inside and much more up to date (not as reliable though appearantly)

edit: we did experience a few problems with more sensative equipment when using the indicator type fuses as they did allow a small amount of current flow when blown, wouldnt be a problem on most cars though.

resettable type are not cheap

from RS 6amp replaces 5amp which is normal due to the way these operate

indicator type are a bit cheaper indicator type

havn't had chance to drive any of the mogs yet, i did a lot of installation work on various models of mog from about P reg up to brand new curvy ones for scottish and southern energy, fitting tracking systems.

older ones where very agricultural to work on but the new ones are very similar to the new jcb's inside and much more up to date (not as reliable though appearantly)

That is a fair bit more expensive.... You'd struggle to justify that in a standard car, wouldn't you...

The older models need a bit of a combination of tractor and lorry driving experience to drive, and common sense, of course. Great machine though...

And there was me thinking they were some kind of magical indicator that tell me when I'm gonna get a blowjob :lol: