Sign in to follow this  
ClassicStorm

Porsche - Audi RS Series?!

Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the affiliation is between Porsche and Audi is,with regards to the RS series i.e. Porsche brakes and wheels etc?

Cheers

John

I don't think there is an official colaboration between the two companies but Porsche have always had 'dealings' with the VAG group.

For example, the original Porsche 924 was an abandoned Audi project (note the numerous parts from the VAG parts bin!). And we all know about Dr Ferdinand Porsche being forced to make the Beetle, so there is definitely a link there but neither company play on it.

The Porsche Cayenne and VW Toureg is a shared platform. Porsche provide the petrol muscle, VW provide the Diesel muscle.

Anyway, back to your original query! For the Audi 80 Avant RS2, Porsche designed/supplied the wheels, wing mirrors, brakes, body mouldings and front bumper. They also prepared the engines and optimised the suspension.

One hell of a car if you can find one and Dialynx will happily extract silly amounts of power out it if that takes your fancy.

The current S series Audis are pure Audi though. I think the RS2 was a one off project to launch Audi back into the high performance car market again after the demise of the original UR Quattro.

That's about all I know really. Must be plenty more info online?

Kev

I don't think there is an official colaboration between the two companies but Porsche have always had 'dealings' with the VAG group.

For example, the original Porsche 924 was an abandoned Audi project (note the numerous parts from the VAG parts bin!). And we all know about Dr Ferdinand Porsche being forced to make the Beetle, so there is definitely a link there but neither company play on it.

Kev

it was originally intended to be a Volkswagen project..as a replacement for the VW-Porsche 914/4 kev :wink: .......but VW put it on a low priority and also had the scirrocco ongoing and with the economic climate of the time(oil crisis of the early-mid 70's)decided against marketing a sports car leaving it for Porsche to concentrate on........

Porsche 924 = reshelled Audi 80... Check out most of the running gear/engines/switchgear/locks etc,etc,etc and you'll see what I mean... The scarey thing is, that's the platform the MKI Golf was based on too! :shock:

Oh, apart from the 924S and 924turbo which were 944s in slightly different shells! :? :lol:

IIRC VAG owns a fairly substantial chunk of the shares of Porsche, and as pointed out before, Dr. Ferdinand has a lot to do with both companies relationships! :lol: Think of them as very close cousins... (yup, deep south USA close! :wink: ) and you're probably about right! :lol:

Porsche 924 = reshelled Audi 80... Check out most of the running gear/engines/switchgear/locks etc,etc,etc and you'll see what I mean... The scarey thing is, that's the platform the MKI Golf was based on too! :shock:

Oh, apart from the 924S and 924turbo which were 944s in slightly different shells!

not quite henny.......Porsche 924 has only the engine/switchgear and interior bits from the Audi.....the gearbox on the early cars was an Audi 4-spd transaxle which later became a 5-spd(don't know if it was used in any other Audi)and all the turbos had a porsche dog-leg g/box(as did some 924's)...............its a front engined RWD(with the g/box at the rear for excellent weight distr and a Torque-tube to feed the power to it)so can't really be defined as a reshelled Audi........and also it was never based on the same platform as the Golf....

as for the 924S yes thats more or less just a narrow-bodied 944 same engine etc.......but the 924 turbo uses a variation on the original 924 engine but with a KKK turbo and a Porsche built head......though the 924 carrera GT using a more uprated turbo engine and intercooler too was what the 944 body was based on :wink:

I think the RS2 was a one off project to launch Audi back into the high performance car market again after the demise of the original UR Quattro.

Kev

...reading an auto mag at AmD recently, and it mentioned Audi are bringing out an RS3... 3.2V6 (a la R32), mated to TWIN turbos... 350bhp+ ... in an A3?????? :shock:

I think Audi must be serious... :lol:

Roddy my friend, I bow down to your knowledge :lol:

You are now officially the forum's car guru!

I absolutely adored the RS2 as a kid. It's still an awesome car today.

Makes the Volvo T5-R look like a picnic table carrier by comparison.

Kev

Knockhill had an RS2 for a while, used as a doctors car I think :shock:

This month's evo has a test of the Audi A3 V6 (247bhp), the general gist of the article is that it's a nice cruiser, but Audi have left plenty of room for an S3 (which it might be expected to be badged as). A 350bhp twin turbo RS3 sounds good though! :D

Jamie

'93 Aqua blue VR6

Roddy my friend, I bow down to your knowledge :lol:

You are now officially the forum's car guru!

I absolutely adored the RS2 as a kid. It's still an awesome car today.

Makes the Volvo T5-R look like a picnic table carrier by comparison.

Kev

PMSL at guru........suppose makes a change from being called an anorak or car-nerd...........just that i was really into my porkers about 10 years ago and with owning a 924lux,a 924S and a 944 turbo could speak from experience etc

had a chuckle with your "when i were a kid" comment.......anyone would think that your in your early 20's now :wink:

is the rs2 as fast as the lotus carlton or the more modern subaru legacy rb4 twin turbo? the subaru is capable of 168mph as standard apparently, and you can pick up a 99 plate for 12k! :clown:

is the rs2 as fast as the lotus carlton or the more modern subaru legacy rb4 twin turbo? the subaru is capable of 168mph as standard apparently, and you can pick up a 99 plate for 12k! :clown:

i'm sure all RS2's were limited to 155mph.........but unlimited i would imagine it would be keeping up with them