Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged Junkie

Wheel bearings

Hi All

Just used the search function but want to be sure i am right!

Car just started making a horrible droning noise while driving along, pretty sure its coming from the front of the car, not sure which side though. But it doesn`t go away if i dip the clutch and gets louder when i brake

Pretty sure its the front wheel bearings, but any other ideas (preferably cheaper ideas :lol: )

Is it best to replace both front bearings? TBH not sure when they were last changed

Thanks

Ian

What mileage has your motor done?

You can check the bearing by jacking the car up, and then check the wheel for play.

I would always to get both sides done.

Also stick to OEM bearings

Does sound like what I had before I got my wheel bearings changed.

Droning is speed dependent and not affected by just dropping the clutch when driving...

Cheers guys, 101% sure its the wheel bearings now...Doesn`t sound too good!

How long can i drive the car with bearings like that, the droning noise isn`t too bad if i keep around 40mph but i got some more time off in a weeks time gonna try to book my car in at the local garage to have it done, you guys reckon it would last that long?

I've only just changed a rear bearings, another way of telling which side it is by loading each side of the car. More load = more noise. Steer right and if the noice gets louder (ie. left hand side of the car under more weight) its one of the left hand side bearings. Steer left and if it gets loader its the right hand side.

Alternatively jack the car up and spin / rock the wheels, was easy to tell which one was knackard on mine. I Left it quite a while before changing it (other car issues) and the disk is now warped and squeals at low speed, maybe not related but a coincidence. Needs skimming at some point, not as fussy as I used to be with these things.

Rear ones are easy to change, I got a garage to change a front bearing because it a hub off and press in/out job. They charged me an hour labour which I thought was worth it. Only did the one which was bad (MOT fail because it was noisy apparently) and the other is still going ok.

Cheers guys, 101% sure its the wheel bearings now...Doesn`t sound too good!

How long can i drive the car with bearings like that, the droning noise isn`t too bad if i keep around 40mph but i got some more time off in a weeks time gonna try to book my car in at the local garage to have it done, you guys reckon it would last that long?

Don't think anyone would advise you on how long you should drive it.

Learned from past experince, if you know somethings not right get it fixed ASAP else it always leads on to something more expensive getting knackered :roll:

How much are we talking to have both front wheel bearing done, can anyone tell me please?

hi mate , usual price is about £80 - £100 a side depending on the garage labour charges , i'd consider having the ball joints done at the same time (£19.04 each from vag) as they have to take them off with the hub anyway

as said above they have to be pressed in unlike the rears so its not really a diy job unless you strip it and take the hub to the garage to have the bearing removed and pressed in

Well i should of done what Rpmayne said, to jack the car up and check each wheel because i`ve had both the front wheel bearings replaced and also had the ball joints done at the same time and guess what after having a bill for £188 just for labour it turned out to be one of the rear bearings all along :-(

Now have to get the rear bearings done :mad: Turned out not too bad thou because the rear brake disc and pads need changing anyhow!

you can do the rears yourself mate , i've just bought discs ,pads, and bearings for the rear, was going to do just the pads and thought sod it i'll do the lot while i'm there

you can do the rears yourself mate , i've just bought discs ,pads, and bearings for the rear, was going to do just the pads and thought sod it i'll do the lot while i'm there

Might have to do that, cash funds are a bit low :-(

How hard is it to press the bearings into the disc? or are you going to take the disc and bearings to a garage to get them to press them in?

Supercharged Junkie, its not too bad they arent pressed in like the fronts , you can tap them in with the old bearing or use a suitable sized socket , one thing you do need is a wind back tool for the rear pistons , some peeps have done it using pliers but you got to be lucky to do it that way tbh, you need to push the piston in and turn it at the same time