Sign in to follow this  
leigha

topping up coolant

am i right in thinking the expansion tank is the right place to top up the coolant?

what's that odd button thingy in the top of it for (under the cap)?

ordinarily yes you would fill it up from the header tank. The cap has a presure release valve in it, normally a black round bit that feel slightly loose. If the presure builds up too much then it allowd coolant/air to vent out of the header tank.

They can fail with age, very common, and it will probably either let too much out, ie all the time when its hot, or nothing and you will blow a rad hose probably. Either way youll know though!

On the VR its best to fill it up from the top rad hose, but thats very unusual, and only recommended on the VR6 i beleive?

crickey, yeah, not the brake fluid resevoir!! water tank is much bigger with a blue or black cap on it and no wires attached to the very top.

i'm not that daft!!!!!

it's got a new expansion tank on it so it should be on ok condition. it's just the button part was tight in there and seemed like it didn't want to come out without damage. made me wonder if it wasn't supposed to for some odd reason?

It sounds like your cap has broken, with half of it staying behind when you take the top part off. It happened to my old Golf and for ages I thought it was meant to be like that! Is there a spring and a couple of other bits in there too?

If so, you need to get it out and get a new cap.

It sounds like your cap has broken, with half of it staying behind when you take the top part off. It happened to my old Golf and for ages I thought it was meant to be like that! Is there a spring and a couple of other bits in there too?

If so, you need to get it out and get a new cap.

that would be odd as it's a new tank, the previous owner fitted it about 3 months ago. i'll have a look though.

If you want to get that part out, let the car get pretty warm and undo the cap slowly, the built up pressure will force the broken part out.

Oops.. thats not meant to be stuck in there! Thats part of the blue cap that you took off!

Not sure it can be reattached?! :)

not bloody bad!!!!! cheers!

this one is actually only about 3 months old. they don't make things like they used to!!!