Sign in to follow this  
JIMMI

VR6 Short runner intake, would anyone be interested in one ?

Ive designed a Short Runner Intake to fit my VR6, it is very similar to the Schimmel one but this one will allow you to use your stock radiatior fans. it will be OBD1 only and will use the oe fuel rail. It wont be some bodged together thing either, i weld motorbike frames & other parts every day and know what im doing, so the quality will be A1.

I will be making mine in the next month or so and seen as Kev's Schimmel group buy seemed popular and was a good deal it was obviously still a little too expensive. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in one of mine if i was to make a batch of them, they will come finished in any colour of your choice (even metallic colours to match your body) , ill even make a decent donation to the forum for each one sold!

Price will depend on quantity as i need to have the intake body flanges machined, which is expensive. if i could have 5 made (inc mine) the finished SRI's would be £300-00 including delivery.

I wouldnt expect anyone to say yes ill have one without seeing one, so all i expect is for 4 or so people to say yes i'd definatly have one if the quality was right then i'd order the flanges and make mine for you all to look @ before you commited. i hope you understand what im saying, any feedback would be welcomed.

This may not be the right section but if any mods want to move it feel free.

jimmi.......

oh yes please Jimmi, i'm 100% up for one of these. have you seen the C2 motorsport one also.

cheers

karl :D

Yes Jimmi,

I will definetly take one from you. Fantastic. Trying to do my Turbo conversion cheaply for now. Good man!

madvr6 wrote

sounds good mate, will it have a provision for the idle valve at all?

The ISV will be retained if you wish, its only a matter of putting a 20mm vacuum outlet on the Manifold, you will need some different lengths of rubber hose to connect it up though. I want to retain my ISV so when mine is finished i can tell you exact hoses etc. My car has been blowing the the plastic box part of the ISV in half when the boost was turned up so ive made a trick looking aluminium one which some of you may be interested in.

KADVR6 wrote

oh yes please Jimmi, i'm 100% up for one of these. have you seen the C2 motorsport one also.

cheers

karl

No i havent seen a C2 one mate, have you got a website for them ?

There seems to be a bit of interest in this which is quite good, i have made two plans up for making them, one uses the very bottom of the stock inlet manifold as a base, the small part which bolts to the front of the head. doing it this way will make it even cheaper,@30% but i'd have to have your part back in exchange, or you could get one from the bay or on here for next to nothing. ill post up in the wanted section to see if i can get a couple of them.

Both of them will work exactly the same and i know the one that is cheaper to manufacture and pass on will make more sense !!

jimmi.........................................

Definitely interested....

Always fancied the Schimmel log but it's been the price that prevented me from getting one.

I can send you my lower section of manifold if you like. I've got a spare engine which im building up for the Turbo conversion. PM me with your address and i'll get it to you to play with. TIA

here ya go Jimmi. a quick link showing all the SRI's. i have somewhere on my computer some detailed pics of the inside of the C2 one, will try and find it later.

http://www.usrallyteam.com/inmani.html

also mate, advertise your charger on the vr6 owners club forum, they seem to sell on there fairly quickly.

Karl

You're more than welcome to do that, just so long as you buy me another one to use whilst you're copying it :lol:

I was looking at that quickflow one earlier and it looks pretty neat, especially how the throttle elbow is angled in a more rad fan friendly manner in comparison to the Schimmel.

If I were making one, I'd use the stock lower part as Jimmi proposes and do a 'half plenum' as a good compromise between the stock's torque and the short runner's power..... you could kind of use a bit of the upper manifold too, but cut it off and blank it at about oil filler cap level and weld on a throttle elbow on the gearbox side, if that makes sense? Probably not so easy in practice tho!

There is any amount of possibilities, but something in the middle of the length of an oe & a schimmel would make sense. you would have the best of both worlds !!

And if the TB was on the side as per the pic Radostorm posted you wont have any heatsoak probs !! That one is a good idea but i would of made it a little tidier and without the TB hanging down.

Hmmmmmmmm more ideas !!!!

Jimmi................

Radostorm wrote

This is better

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

52_1.jpg

Description:

Filesize: 33.63 KB

Viewed: 1 Time(s)

Thats very similar to the one i have designed but i have made the plenum area more boxy as opposed to the tube that one is.

Jimmi................

but about half the volume it should be.....

If I remember right, shouldn't the volume be about 80% of the engine capacity?

what are the advantages/disadvantages to a short runner?

Long runners help the low end torque in NA engines. They are nearly always tuned in length, to improve torque in other areas of the rev range. Or variable like the VSR. The tuned length makes use of the pressure waves created as the inlet valves open and close, the wave travels up the runner and is reflected back towards the valve (like when you clap your hands into a length of pipe with one end blocked off, you can hear the reflection). This give increased air flow at a narrow rev band. The length is crucial to give the effect in the right area of the rev band.

Short runners are more for FI as it reduces the volume of air required to fill the manifold and therefore improves throttle response, and the TB is much closer the the inlet.

This is the theory (or my version of it!), a few people reckon the short runner works well on a NA car. The Rover KV6 has three different runner lengths, the torque curve with and without is quite amazing (for a Rover!).

Phew, I wonder if anybody read past the first paragraph! :?

That's all true and yep, the closer the throttle is to the head, the faster the throttle response will be......purely and simply because the air has less distance to travel.....it really isn't rocket science or some black art :-)

The whole idea of the SRI as you say is to get the throttle away from the back of the engine for heat reasons, to make intercooler pipework easier and shorter path (again reducing lag) and improved volumetric efficiency.

I've used the Schimmel N/A and it doesn't really do much to the torque, but with forced induction, it's fantastic, does what it says on the tin and I think his being one of the largest SRIs out there, meets the 80% of CC volume requirement. It's inbetween the two extremes - high rev power (throttle bodies) and bottom end grunt (very long tracts) and you get very linear torque/power plots with the Schimmel.

Things to watch out for with throttles and very small SRIs is there is no vacuum resevoir for your brakes, so they'll suffer a little (the servo has to get it's vacuum from somewhere, and it's the intake plenum) and various flat spots throughout the range.....and some may find the crazy throttle response tricky to manage at junctions :-)

This is the theory (or my version of it!), a few people reckon the short runner works well on a NA car. The Rover KV6 has three different runner lengths, the torque curve with and without is quite amazing (for a Rover!).

Rover's K series in all flavours are excellent engines for day to day and tuners alike. Very under rated but I love them. Shame Rover fell victim to t0ss pot corrupt management and turncoat British press. It didn't deserve to go down the way it did.

Phew, I wonder if anybody read past the first paragraph! :?

I did. I always read the techie stuff as it interests me more than wheels and boring interior stuff.