Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Refurbing the reflecto on lights

Is it possible to refurb the reflector part in the lamps? There must be someone out there with the tech to do it. mine are faded pretty bad.

thanks

Pretty sure gsf sell them? i cant just remember how much,but i dont think they were too bad.

Neil. :)

Damn,i was sure somewhere did them...remember posting a link in an old post i think :?

maybe euro car parts? they list glass/insert,not sure what that means exactly...

Neil.

Well I'll be.............http://url.the-corrado.net/a18c11 ...... half way down

That's what I get for looking under "Lighting" :lol:

I was just going to spray mine silver as i have one headlight starting to go manky and the other has half of the reflective material completley missing where the lens has been cracked. its a yellow/brown colour now.

I'm hoping they paint up and work ok with an uprated loom and bulbs, i will let people know.

Also, I had also read somewhere VW no longer did the headlight lenses. I went into VW today and asked, and they do. I just have to wait a few days for it to come in from abroad.

I've been looking at my lights today and i think i might be onto something. The reason the reflective material comes so easily off the reflector body itself, with water ingress or tape for example, is because there is no key for it to bite onto and there's no clear coat to protect it.

The reflective coating just sits on top if an amber coloured primer/laquer that's really smooth. This primer isn't on the back of the reflector body, but some overspray of the reflective material is. It's not as shiny as on the front of the reflector, a dull silver rather than chrome finish, but it wont pull off with a strip of tape like the stuff on the front.

I've used a chrome effect paint a few years ago, the parts were prepped well with a good key and it looked pretty good. After a coat of laquer it turned to a dull silver finish which was a little irritating but it needed the clear coat as it was on an interior handle and would be taking a fair bit of abuse. The reflectors are pretty well protected inside the lamp so shouldnt require the clear coat .

Tomorrow i'll try applying this chrome effect paint like VW have with theirs (no key to the surface as well as no protective clear coat) and let people know what kind of results i get.