Sign in to follow this  
Lippy

mkV R32 or mkV GTI

No I haven't got a payrise unfortunately :(

Was in VW Macclesfield yesterday waiting for some blue clips for my vw badge and was poking around the R32 they had in the showroom. This was the first time i'd been up close and personal to the new model and I was surprised.

Out on the road they seem to big (Golf+ anyone) and seem to have lost some of the presence that the mkIV one had. Everyone nows the new GTI is a corker pissing all over the mkIV, and I had it sorted in my head that if I had 20 to 25k and was looking for a golf I would get the GTI and save the money.

From what I sure yesterday the R32 really looks the business!

So what you would you choose if you had 20-25k GTI or R32? I think I would bite the bullet for the extra and go r32

Yeah same here for the engine note and 4wd and the optional sports seats!

Although I do prefer the mk5 GTi's black grille and wheels.

EDIT: Yeah depends on if you can justify the extra outlay, especially considering the GTi power output can be upgraded to match/exceed the R32 for less than the difference in price.

i'd just go for the mk4 r32 even if i had 25k to spend looks better and is the original r32....

the new one looks too plasticy.. and is ugly as sin :(

I had a Mk4r32 and would definatly have another over the Mk5,

The Gti"s front end is a better finish than that honda type grill on the R32

The next version which is supposed to gonna be called the R36 will hopefully have a more aggresive look than the Mk5

Of the two I'd take the R32, but.....

I'd fit the GTI wheels and front end to it, pull out the R32 engine and stick my 3.0 turbo in it's place. I'd then have the grunt AND the grip :-)

As each new generation of Golf comes out, it's shell stiffness improves and that's why I'd get the MK5 R32 and not the MK4.....but the MK4 still looks nice today.

The R32 nose is ghastly... I don't know what VW were thinking with that..... the multispoke rims look terrible too.

I think £4K for the decent 4x4 system and nice V6 motor (plus other interior enhancements) is quite good value over the GTI personally.....but as always, i'd never buy a new one out of principal.